- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
How To Make Cider Vinegar Rinse For Hair
Why Cider Vinegar is good for hair
I have benefited from using apple cider vinegar for shiny and smooth hair.
Before we look at how apple cider vinegar helps our hair, let's first find out more about our hair.
Human hair is designed to protect skin from harmful elements in the atmosphere. Our hair are designed in such a way that they have their own protective layer called the cuticle.
Cuticle covers the entire strand of hair. Cuticle is made of many layers that overlap so as to provide flexibility to hair. This protective layer is the most important element of hair health.
If this layer is intact and flat, your hair will stay healthy and smooth. Healthy cuticle provides shine to the hair.
The Cuticle layers open when we shampoo our hair. This process makes our hair rough. This also makes hair lose shine and look dull.
Now let's understand how cider vinegar helps.
ACV rinse helps to close the layers of cuticles, thus restoring shine and making hair smoother.
Vinegar also acts like hair tonic because it improves blood circulation in capillaries.
Benefits of apple cider vinegar hair rinse
Because apple cider vinegar has anti-bacterial properties, it is used to cure hair ailments like alopecia.
The strong acidic quality of cider vinegar helps in removing stubborn chemicals from the scalp. It also helps in removing dandruff from the scalp, and makes space for new hair to grow. In that sense, cider vinegar can encourage new hair growth.
Because of the healthy scalp nourished by cider vinegar, it can stop hair fall too.
On the cosmetic side, cider vinegar provides youthful look to the hair.
Making Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 25ml Apple cider vinegar, organic
- Take 4 oz (half a cup) of water. Use distilled/filtered/purified water if possible.
- Put 4 oz (half a cup) of apple cider vinegar in it. Ideally, this should be unfiltered, unpasteurized cider vinegar.
- Stir well. Your ACV hair rinse is ready to be used. Put it in a spray bottle for easy use.
How to use ACV rinse for hair
Wash your hair with your usual shampoo. Dry off excess water.
Apply ACV hair rinse to hair and scalp. Massage it into your scalp. This will help remove chemicals and dandruff from the scalp.
Avoid contact with eyes.
If possible, leave cider vinegar in your hair for 15 minutes. Rinse off your hair to reveal soft and shiny hair.
ACV will work wonders on your hair and scalp by resetting pH balance of the hair. It will also help in removing any dead cells from the scalp.
Cider vinegar is also anti-fungal, and is effective in curing any infection from the scalp.
I have found that all the itchiness from my scalp has gone since I began to use cider vinegar rinse. I don't get the time to leave it in my hair for 15 minutes. That seems like a long time when I am in a hurry. So I usually wash off cider vinegar within 5 minutes. However, I use it undiluted in my hair. I prefer it that way, and have found it very effective.
Please start using it in a 50:50 diluted ratio, and if you are comfortable, increase it to undiluted use of cider vinegar in hair.
You probably don't need to use cider vinegar every time you wash your hair. Use ACV rinse once or twice a month.
Stop Hair Loss
Tips for using ACV rinse for hair
Avoid contact with eyes.
Always dilute ACV with water. Don't use undiluted.
Some people use ACV hair rinse first, and then wash hair with shampoo. See what works best for you.
I prefer to wash my hair with shampoo first and then use ACV hair rinse.
Buying the right cider vinegar
While some people use white vinegar, I strongly recommend using apple cider vinegar.
This apple cider vinegar needs to be unpasteurized and unfiltered. This apple cider vinegar will have the 'mother' of cider vinegar in it which contains the enzymes for better hair.
While it is not absolutely necessary, I would also recommend organic cider vinegar to get full health benefits.
Which ACV is good?
- Which Brand of Apple Cider Vinegar to Buy
Bragg, VitaCost, Dynamic Health - which is the best brand for apple cider vinegar?
Cider vinegar and baking soda
While I have recommended shampooing your hair first and then use cider vinegar, there's one more way to do it if you are using baking soda.
Mix 1 tsp of baking soda to ACV hair rinse. With this, you don't need to shampoo your hair. Baking soda is very effective in cleaning your hair.
With baking soda and cider vinegar, you neither need expensive shampoo nor expensive conditioner.
Herbs and cider vinegar for shiny hair
You can add herbs to improve the quality of our hair.
There are different herbs for different hair types (see the table below). You can either use dried herbs or fresh hubs, especially if you are growing them in your backyard.
What you need
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, organic
- 2 cups water
Making herb and cider vinegar rinse
Boil the water and put cider vinegar and herbs. Cover and allow it to brew for 10 to 20 minutes. Then remove it from the heat and let it settle for half an hour. Let it cool down.
If you want to make your solution stronger, simmer it for 10 more minutes. You can add more quantity for later use. All you have to do is simply stored the remaining solution in the fridge.
How to use cider vinegar herb solution for hair rinse
Shampoo your hair as usual. Put the herb solution on your hair and massage it deep in your hair. Rinse it off with water or just leave it in and towel-dry your hair. Don't worry about the smell of cider vinegar. It usually goes away after 30 minutes.
While applying the herb solution, make sure that it doesn't enter your eyes. It can cause burning sensation.
Which herbs are good for your hair?
Type of Hair
Blonde, light brown hair
Rosemary and parsley
Coconut oil and cider vinegar for hair
Coconut oil is regaining popularity as a nutritious oil for hair.
Before you wash your hair with cider vinegar, you can apply coconut oil to your hair for longevity. Make sure to buy unrefined coconut oil. Refined coconut oil may have harmful chemicals.
If you live it cold climate, as I do, you will notice that your coconut oil has crystallized. Put some oil in a bowl and warm it up in microwave, regularly checking to make sure that it is melted and just warm enough. If it gets too hot, it may burn your fingers.
Now gently apply coconut oil to hair. Let the oil get absorbed in the scalp. Leave it for a couple of hours ideally. If you are in a rush, keep it for an hour and then wash off with cider vinegar.
When you have applied coconut oil, make sure you are in a warm room, otherwise you may catch cold as the oil cools down your head.
13 Tips To Stop Hair Fall
Having healthy hair requires commitment. Everything from diet, stress, pollution and environmental factors affect our hair quality.
Here are some tips that have worked wonders for me:
- Shower water: For drinking water, do you use some filtering system? If you use filtered water for drinking, why would you use tap water for hair? Most water supply companies around the world add chlorine to water to kill bacteria. However, this chlorine enters our body when we take a hot shower. Hot water opens the pours in our scalp and skin, which absorbs this unfiltered water. We also inhale chlorinated water steam during shower. This chlorine enters our lungs and our bloodstream. It is not just damaging to our hair but also to our health. This tap water also makes our hair coarse. Solution? Use a good shower filter that's widely available in the market. These filters remove chlorine and other impurities from water, and are not very expensive. Make sure you change the cartridges in these filters regularly.
- Water temperature: Whenever possible, use water that's not too hot or too cold. Hot water weakens the roots of the hair and increase hair fall. Cold water may not remove all dead cells and chemicals from the scalp. Use water at room temperature if you can.
- Headgear: When going out, protect your hair from strong sun and UV rays. Wear headgear.
- Hairstyle: Don't tie your hair very tightly as this may weaken the roots.
- Oil: Regularly massage your hair with coconut oil or almond oil. Use warm oil so that it opens the pours and is better absorbed by the scalp. Let it be soaked in for an hour before washing.
- Juices: Massage scalp with garlic or onion juice and leave it in the hair overnight. I know it will stink, but this is vital for providing the much-needed nourishment.
- Hair dryer: Use hair dryer sparingly. The heat from the dryer also cause hair loss. Try to dry your hair in a natural way.
- Towel: While drying hair with a towel, be gentle. Dry your hair with sideways movement of towel, avoiding any scrubbing in the direction of hair growth or against it.
- Diet: Food we eat has a strong influence on the quality of hair. Unhealthy diet creates hormonal changes in the body which lead to hair loss.
- Stress: Hair loss can be caused by or exaggerated by a stressful lifestyle. Try to manage stress levels, and engage in a stress-busting activity like watching a funny movie, or meditating every day.
- Sleep: Insomniacs or people with sleep-deprivation suffer from hair fall. Make sure you are getting sufficient and sound sleep.
- Exercise: Regular walks, runs or gym workouts help in improving oxygen circulation in the body. Exercise also increases serotonin - a 'happiness' hormone, which helps in improving hair growth.
- Health: As ancient wisdom rightly says - our hair are the window to our health. A healthy person has healthy hair. Make sure you are leading a healthy lifestyle.
Video: Make ACV hair rinse
Those Who Read This Also Read:
- Top 10 Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar offers many uses - from weight loss to hair growth, skin, acne, warts, dental hygiene and many more. Read this everyday guide to apple cider vinegar benefits
- Does apple cider vinegar work for hair loss?
Apple Cider Vinegar rinse is a very useful treatment for hair fall. ACV helps hair grow and makes them shiny, healthy and silky. These are great tips about how to use ACV as hair fall treatment.
- How To Detox With Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
From weight loss to hair fall, apple cider vinegar diet delivers many health benefits including fighting heart issues, diabetes, cholesterol and even cancer. Find out how to use apple cider vinegar.
- Read Before Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight ...
This well-researched article answers questions about apple cider vinegar - How often to drink ACV? When to drink? What can I mix it with? Will I lose weight fast if I drank more cider vinegar?