- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
7 Best Shampoos for Oily Scalp
An oily scalp can result in dandruff, greasy hair and skin conditions that can potentially lead to hair loss. Restore a healthy scalp by choosing a shampoo that has been especially designed for oily scalp. Because a clean and healthy scalp can mean the difference between greasy, dull strands and gorgeous, shiny locks.
Don’t go shopping without checking out this list of best shampoos for oily scalp.
Davines Naturaltech Rebalancing Shampoo
A high quality shampoo designed by Davines to control overactive sebaceous glands. Infused with peppermint oil, cinnamon extract and lemon phytoceuticals ,the shampoo deeply cleanses the scalp while maintaining natural hydration levels.
The cooling sensation that it gives in the shower can be very refreshing. Entirely free of sulfates the shampoo gently but thoroughly cleanses the scalp and hair, leaving you with shiny beautiful locks that are easy to style.
Davines Naturaltech Rebalancing Shampoo is very suitable for oily scalp. The shampoo leaves your hair cleaner than it ever has and extends duration between washes. Those whose scalp is not very oily can use it as a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove oil and build up.
- Cleanses hair thoroughly.
- Extends duration between washes.
- Helps reduce oil production in the scalp while making the hair look great.
- Leaves hair with tingly fresh feeling.
- Deeply cleanses hair without stripping it of moisture.
- Rich in botanicals that regulate sebum secretion levels.
- Entirely free of sulfates
- Paraben free.
- Free of Polyethylene Glycol and silicones.
- Suitable for fine oily hair.
- Strong medicinal scent.
- Does not lather much.
- The consistency is like oil, so it’s difficult to cover your whole scalp with it.
- The packaging is such that it’s not easy to get a small amount out. The bottle is like a five hour energy drink ─a narrow neck or spout would be much preferred.
- Can be a bit drying if used daily.
Josh Rosebrook Balance Shampoo
If an oily scalp is getting you down and weighing down your hair-Josh Rosebrook Balance shampoo can help.
Infused with Aloe Vera, plant oils and efficacious botanicals, the shampoo prevents excessive oiliness while nourishing the scalp to stimulate hair growth. Aloe Vera is known to strengthen hair thus Josh Rosebrook Balance shampoo is especially suitable for those experiencing thinning hair and oily scalp.
One thing to keep in mind, when you lather it into your roots is to allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes to let the natural botanicals sink in your scalp. You will get soft shiny, happy hair and a scalp that is healthy and nourished but never greasy.
Josh Rosebrook Balance shampoo is an all-natural shampoo. It does not strip hair of its natural moisture so you may not need a conditioner with this.However,If you think your hair needs a conditioner Josh Rosebrook Nourish conditioner pairs with it well.
- Cleanses oily roots well.
- An all-natural shampoo designed for oily scalp.
- Extends duration between washes.
- Citrusy light scent.
- Free of parabens.
- The shampoo is gentle on color treated hair.
- Sulfate free.
- Free of synthetic ingredients, preservatives, colors and fillers.
- Cruelty free.
- Gives hair nice volume.
- Very expensive.
- The shampoo lathers very little. It’s more of a cream that you spread through your hair and rub in. But it rinses clean.
- Due to the lack of suds one tends to use a lot of product.
- It’s not a harsh cleansing shampoo it doesn't work well if you have a lot of product in your hair.
Phytopanama Daily Scalp Balancing Shampoo
Those with oily scalp often feel the need to wash their hair frequently but frequent washing leads to scalp becoming too dry. To counteract it the scalp produces even more oil, further worsening the problem. That’s why those at Phyto have designed a shampoo especially suitable for oily scalp conditions. Phytopanama Daily Scalp Balancing shampoo is pH balanced so that it does not result in over drying the scalp. Formulated with patented ingredients, the shampoo is free of irritants but rich in hair nourishing botanical extracts. Quillaja Bark extract gently cleanses hair and regulates oil production in scalp while essential oils of juniper berries and castor oil deeply purify the scalp and protect the hair from external factors, leaving you with hair that is fresher and free of grease.
Phytobaume volume Express Conditioner pairs well with shampoo.It provides weightless moisture and lasting volume. Apply a dime-sized amount to the length of hair, avoiding roots. Rinse after a few minutes.
- Phytopanama Daily Scalp Balancing shampoo is great for frequent washing.
- Cleanses gently without stripping your hair.
- It is very gentle and gives incredible shine and makes hair bouncy and manageable.
- A tiny bit goes a long way. A bottle will last you 2-3 months of daily use.
- Fresh lemony scent.
- Extends duration between washes.
- SLS free.
- It regulates the oiliness and it doesn't dry out the scalp.
- Free of artificial coloring.
- A pH balanced shampoo to suit the oily scalp.
- Purifies and effectively cleanses oily scalp and hair.
- You may find the scent medicinal.
- The shampoo does not lather much.
- It’s a very watery shampoo. They do not use any thickener because it might irritate or clog the scalp.Make sure your hair is very wet before you apply this shampoo. Do not pour it in your hands, you'll use too much and waste quite a bit. Pour it in the cap and empty it on the top of your scalp. Massage and get the lather going.
- The packaging can be hard to handle but do not empty the contents into a plastic squeeze bottle. Plastic can interact with some of the natural ingredients present in shampoo and lessen its quality.
Maple Holistics Degrease shampoo
Maple Holistics Degrease shampoo is an all-natural shampoo that has taken a holistic approach at removing grease from your scalp and hair. The shampoo is deeply nourishing. It’s unique botanical formula is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and powerful plant extracts.It effectively balances oil production in your scalp, leaving you with healthy, nourished scalp and silky tresses that appear weightless.
Whether you have greasy scalp and oily hair or greasy scalp but dry hair or greasy and itchy scalp with dandruff, Maple Holistics degrease shampoo can help. Free of sulfates and harsh surfactants the shampoo is also very gentle on color treated hair.
Silk 18 conditioner by Maple Holistics pairs well with this shampoo.Avoid applying the conditioner over the roots just use it on your lower ends.
- An all-natural gentle shampoo that can be used frequently..
- For a sulfate free shampoo,it lathers decently.
- Silicone,paraben and sulfate free.
- Natural scent, you can tell that there are not chemicals in it
- Tames frizz.
- Suitable for greasy scalp with dry hair ends.
- Suitable for greasy scalp with dandruff.
- Helps with itchy scalp.
- Excellent customer service.
- Suitable for oily scalp and hair.
- A little goes a long way. A bottle will last you about 5 months.
- Available for bulk purchase.
- You may not like the scent.
- Not available in stores, you have to order online.
- The shampoo is rich in botanical extracts which might cause an allergic reaction in some people.
- The product requires shaking, which isn’t easy due to shampoo’s thickness.
- The packaging is not user friendly. The shampoo comes in a bottle of firm clear plastic which is hard to squeeze to pour out the product.
- In the initial days you might get little bumps on scalp and itching which may go away after a few washes .If the itchiness continues stop using this shampoo.
L’Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
If you have oily scalp but dry ends, finding a shampoo can be challenging because moisturizing shampoos will smooth your ends but turn you scalp into an oil slick. On the other hand, If you use a deep cleansing shampoo it may remove the grease but turn your hair into a dry tangled mess.
L’Oréal Paris Laboratories have combined 3 REFINED CLAYS to create a shampoo that will care for your hair at both ends.It will smooth your ends but also remove grease from your scalp. L’Oréal Elvive Extraordinary Clay Shampoo is a perfect balance between cleansing and moisturizing. Embrace deeply purified roots with hydrated ends.
The shampoo is very affordable, making it easier to buy the matching conditioner and the clay re-balancing mask,both of which work great with this shampoo. Use all three as directed on the packaging for best results.
This shampoo is definitely worth a try, especially at such an affordable price.
- Very affordable
- Lathers well
- The scent is nice, clean and mild.
- Silicone free.
- Lifts roots and scalp feels purified.
- Gentle enough to be used frequently.
- Hydrates the ends while effectively cleaning the oily roots.
- Matching conditioner is suitable for oily hair.It’s lightweight and does not weigh down hair.
- A little goes a long way.
- Does not work well on those who have thin hair.
- If you are prone to allergies use it cautiously.
- Contains sulfates
- L’Oréal’s claim of ‘’ 48hr purified roots + hydrated ends’’ may not hold true for those with very oily hair.
Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo
If you have oily roots but fine hair, volumizing shampoos are your best bet. They will thicken your hair and they do not add as much moisture to scalp as other shampoos do.
One of the best volumizing shampoo is Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing shampoo.Begin your day by washing out the grease and adding more body into your hair.
Pure abundance volumizing shampoo’s plant based formula uses acacia gum to add volume, calendula, honey, and marshmallow extract thicken hair and kaolin clay absorbs excess oil leaving you with hair that is full and fabulous but never weighed down and greasy.
SLS and silicone free but rich in hair nourishing ingredients Aveda Pure Abundance is a lightweight shampoo. It won’t dry out your scalp nor turn it into a oil slick. It also adds a bit of bounce and lift at the roots, meeting all the needs of those with fine, limp hair and greasy scalp.
- Free of sodium lauryl and laureth sulfate.
- Cleanses oily roots well and extends duration between washes.
- Makes fine, limp hair shiny and voluminous.
- It lathers fine unless your hair is full of product, in which case you might have to lather up twice.
- Gives fuller hair and prevents it from getting greasy.
- Cleanses well and rinses clean.
- A very suitable shampoo for fine, limp hair.
- Cruelty free.
- Silicones, which are the death of fine, soft hair are not present in this shampoo.
- The shampoo is a bit harsh on color treated hair.
- Pricy. But a liter costs 20% less per ounce..
- Not suitable for daily use,it might dry out hair.
- Not suitable for dry damaged hair.
- The typical herbal Aveda scent. If you do not like the smell of Aveda’s products, this may not suitable for you.
- Can cause an allergic reaction.
Madre labs Thickening Shampoo
Madre labs Thickening shampoo is very suitable for those who are looking for a sulfate free shampoo for their oily roots and fine hair. The shampoo is very good at cleaning greasy, oily scalp and it also makes your hair appear fuller and thicker. Free of chemicals that can strip your hair and disturb its natural pH balance, Madre labs Thickening shampoo is fortified with panthenol, essential oils, biotin, vicia faba seed, Quinoa protein, loquat leaf and Aloe Vera extract to make you hair look fuller, healthier and thicker.
The shampoo leaves your hair really clean but still soft and hydrated. Thanks to its hydrating blend of Aloe Vera and essential oils that gently restore scalp’s natural moisture balance.
Madre labs Thickening shampoo is a cruelty free, sulfate free, all natural, pH balanced shampoo that will leave your fine, oily hair looking its best.
- Color safe shampoo.
- Lathers well.
- Phthalates,silicone and paraben free.
- pH balanced.
- Nutrient rich shampoo that leaves hair fuller and thicker looking.
- Blend of essential oils and aloe vera to help restore scalp’s natural moisture balance.
- Cruelty free and eco friendly packaging.
- Prevents hair and scalp from getting greasy and extends duration between washes.
- Plant based quinoa and flax protein to strengthen hair
- Contains B complex +biotin to nourish hair and scalp.
- A very suitable shampoo for oily scalp
- May help with hair loss.
- Contains a lot of natural ingredients, some of them might cause an allergic reaction in some people. If you notice more hair fallout or itching stop using it.
- Strong masculine scent that may linger.
- If you're an individual with dry scalp or washes your hair very often, this product might strip your scalp's natural defense. And there’s no complimentary conditioner to go with it.This is not an everyday shampoo. Use it after 2-3 days.
- It’s give hair a deep cleanse so don’t forget to use a suitable conditioner.
- Rather watery, so squeeze out carefully.