- Fashion and Beauty»
Celtic Engagement Rings
What is a Celtic Engagement Ring?
A Celtic Engagement Ring is an engagement ring that is rich in Irish heritage and symbolism. These types of engagement rings are uniquely adorned with diamonds and special Celtic patterns.
Celtic engagement rings are quite popular amongst the younger crowd. Two of the most popular designs are the Claddagh and the knotwork, both of which have rich traditions that were passed down through the generations.
The knotwork Celtic ring is usually decorated with various knot designs specific to Irish culture. The Claddagh ring features two hands clasping a heart and/or a diamond, and is usually surmounted by a crown. Although the Claddagh ring was originally used more to distinguish a person as either engaged or available, it is now commonly used as a Celtic engagement and/or wedding ring.
Also, the Trinity Knot is a common artistic feature of many Celtic engagement rings. Look below for a picture and description of the Trinity Knot.
Things to Consider when Purchasing a Celtic Engagement Ring
There are a handful of things that you'll want to consider when purchasing any type of Celtic ring.
- Is the Celtic ring authentic? A good ring retailer will showcase the certification of their rings. For Celtic rings, the Dublin Assay Office is a good source of authority. Established in 1637, they mark their rings with a hallmark denoting when it was made and who made it.
- Is the Celtic ring made in Ireland? You'd be amazed at how many "Celtic" engagement rings were made in China or elsewhere. How can you get an authentic ring if it's not made in the country from which the tradition started?
- Are the diamonds made "conflict-free"? Some people have a problem with diamonds that arose out of conflict/oppressive circumstances. A good retailer will proudly display that they have conflict free diamonds (if that is the case), but if you don't see it on the website, then they probably aren't conflict free.
Another common artistic piece seen in many Celtic engagement rings is the Trinity Knot, also called the Triquetra. Like the Celtic rings, the Trinity Knot is rich with symbolism. It has been used over the past several centuries to demonstrate a unity between three things, such as:
- Past, present and future
- Father, Son and Holy Spirit
Celtic Engagement Rings- The Unique Touch to a Loving Expression
Keep in mind that engagement is one of the biggest decisions you'll make in your life. You'll want to get a ring that your future spouse will be proud to wear on her finger.
But you'll also want to get an engagement ring that fits your personalities. (Word of caution: simply because you're a big Lord of the Rings fan doesn't mean you should get a Celtic engagement ring!) If you don't feel like Celtic engagement rings fit your unique personalities, try looking around at different types of engagement rings, such as:
- Three Stone engagement rings
- White gold engagement rings
- Yellow gold engagement rings
- Gemstone engagement rings
- Ruby engagement rings
- Diamond engagement rings