Choosing a Modeling Career
Choosing a modeling career can be amazingly fun, there is a lot of work you have to put into it in the beginning. My modeling career was fairly short, but during that time, I learned so much about travel and people. I think if a girl or young man has any kind of desire to do some modeling they should check into modeling agencies, But you don't have to stop there! Advertisers need all kinds of models babies, children, seniors for senior newsletters, the list goes on forever!! You will want to get a good agency not one that doesn't get you the gigs. Another way to get extra work, is to check out the Events tab in your local Craigslist postings, many times they have need for models. Just today I Found three modeling jobs. They are all local too, when you are looking do not send your photo and resume to people most of the time it's a scam for people to get identity. Be sure to read the job posting and find out where and what its all about before you commit. Never meet in a hotel alone! Always bring a friend with you, My sister and I modeled together. Bring a parent with you if you are under 18 as they will need a parental release form signed. You can Model or act at any age. they do casting calls for a variety of "looks" sometimes they need all ages for groups of people in movies.
Many times these sales companies want you to promote their product at a booth in a store, most of these jobs pay from 15.00 to 20.00 per hour and you work a weekend. On occasion they are doing a model "Call" for some event like Hair show or a bridal show or something like that. For many of these type of shows you do not have to be the 5' 9 or 6ft tall model that runways want. You can also be a hand or foot model, there all kids of modeling jobs. You will see casting calls for t.v. models, movies, plays etc. Here are some of the model jobs I have done in the past.
- Tea Room modeling ~ I modeled bridal dresses, for "wives to be" more than once.
- I did a runway show for western wear at the mall 205, I am only 5'5" but when you can walk the "Catwalk" and look the part for the job, I have a slight gap in my front teeth and they wanted my look.
- I did some lingerie modeling in my 20s, I got paid good money for this and free lingerie, don't take less that 25.00 per hour. If they are taking photos of you, then do not let them have exclusive royalties, tell them "you want copies of the photos that day" and don't do it for less that 200.00 bucks.
- Hair Modeling in Paris, France. I went with a Hairdresser to Paris and was his Model for a Hair show. I got a free trip to Paris and logging. Plus I got 500.00 for the job/ meals. At that time I didn't eat much LOL. I brought a credit card just in case of emergency.
- Miss "Oregon" or "your state" Pageants these are a great way to get started they will teach you how to walk a runway, Its pretty simple never look down, look straight ahead, when you turn at the end you shana' turn and pivot with the balls of the feet in sync. I have enclosed a video that shows you how to do it!
- Strange but true they wanted models to sell margarita drinks at a rodeo. You had to be over 21, it was a fun job and I got lots of tips! 20 bucks an hour, it was a weekend gig. The line was half mile long for us, we had two girls and one guy model. We were "hopin" It was a great marketing strategy!
"May your dreams live forever and your heart always be young" Native American Blessing. Go for it and live your dreams!
You need to start working on your portfolio right away. if you decide to go with an agency, they will help you decide what medium to pursue and provide a photographer to take photos of you and help you with your portfolio. A typical model portfolio usually has. Photos, resume, a portfolio case. Photos you will need are: A head shot 3/4th body shot, Full shot, and full body shot. You can also make up what they call a comp card or zed Card, its a cool photo collage of these photos on one card. front and back. you need black and white photos too. 15-20 photos in your portfolio max. You need to take "shoots" with different outfits. Mine was an evening gown in black velvet, photos were taken in black and white and in color. I was standing by a modern building. if you want to go it alone Find a semi pro photographer, or someone with a really nice camera and take pictures outside by trees by water. Get pics of you like jumping in mid air , by cool looking buildings. Get a picture from an odd angle, you can get a ladder have them take a picture form there looking down on you. Red and blue colors too, These are eye grabbers when you submit you portfolio to major magazines etc. If you are tall then you would qualify for a runway model job , you will want to focus on fashion. with the photos i have list above.
P. S, On your Composition card you need to put your height, weight, hair color, size, eyes,shoe size and measurements.
- Allentown Photographer Joe Edelman - Advertising Photography
web site contains loads of information about the modeling industry.
Professional Comp card Zed Card
Example of a Zed Card ~ Comp Card
You can model at any age or size! Photographers need models for advertising.
- Find Mature Modeling Agents Senior Model Search
Mature Model Search Ages 55 and up Senior Modeling agents.