Common Causes of Dry Patches on Face and Preventive Measures
Dry patches on face are pretty annoying no matter if you are a teenager or a middle aged person. It is one of the most common skin problems for all age groups. Though dry patches may occur in any part of the body skin, it is most unpleasant and painful when you have dry patches on the face. It develops wrinkles and flaky skin in the face that destroys the good look and texture of the face.
Dry patches are usually caused by dry skin, use of chemical cosmetics, makeup and dehydration of facial cells. This dryness may occur from lack of moisture in your face, extreme exposure of face skin to direct sun light, too much use of chemicals on the face and medication. However, excessive dryness may lead the patches to several serious skin diseases. Dry patches on face are a normal sign during the pregnancy and some illness also leaves the sign of patches on the skin.
Common causes behind dry patches on face
- The most common factor behind the dry patches on face is environmental agents. Our facial skin is the most exposed part of our body. It frequently keeps fighting against harsh weather that creates dehydrated and dry skin.
- Dry patches may result from Atopic Dermatitis (a kind of skin infection) that develops rashes around joints of the body and especially over face. This skin disease may further lead to asthma or allergies.
- Your soap or skin care products containing any allergic ingredients might cause dry skin patches. Soap takes away the natural oils from your skin that protects the dryness. Excessive use of soap and hot tub produces rough patches on the facial skin.
- Allergic reaction of chemicals in perfumes or other skin care products also produces skin rashes and dry patches. So it is better to avoid harsh chemical products that do not suit your skin type.
- During the winter season our skin tends to stay dry more as the low humidity in the air extracts moisture from it. Staying in an air conditioned room for long period can do the same. If this environmental condition causing dryness is prolonged, it would create white/red flaky patches on the face.
- If your body is suffering from malnutrition of necessary vitamins and minerals then your skin may become dry. And also your body needs adequate water to maintain the body moisture. Lack of water and nutrients creates flaky patches on skin.
- Aging is another reason behind dry skin patches on face. As you grow old, your skin looses the capability of maintaining the moisture and fighting the harsh weather. Old skin produces less protein (collagen and elastin) that prevents dryness. It leads to dry skin, formation of wrinkles, dark circles and other skin problems.
Simple thing to do to avoid dry patches on face
Moisturizing your skin is the first condition to prevent dry patches as dry skin is the main reason behind patches. You can improve your moisture condition of the face by simply washing your face with cold water regularly. For additional moisture (if your skin is excessive dry) use moisturizer cream or lotion after washing your face.
Vitamin E is very helpful for controlling your skin moisture. It makes your skin look healthy by allowing it to hold moisture, reducing the possibility of forming patches. Avoid using soap and instead use a cleanser that contains natural ingredients. Organic products are good for skin to hold moisture than to chemical ones. Exfoliation of the skin opens the pores present in the facial cells and helps the breathing of the skin. Thus it improves the circulation and keeps dry patches away.
Proper care and some regular cautions can give you a patch free youthful glowing face. Following the above mentioned tips will keep dry patches away from your face. If dry patches on your face are staying for a long time and tend to get worse, you should consult with an expert dermatologist for specialized treatment.