Homemade Hairspray Recipe
Natural Hair Spray
I'm always on the lookout for homemade recipes telling me how to make my own all natural products for cleaning and personal use. Not only are they cheaper than their store bought counterparts, but they are better for the environment and my family's health because they do not have all those harmful chemicals in them. I believe if I can't pronounce an ingredient then it probably isn't a good idea to use it!
The following recipe for homemade hair spray was a treasure I was so happy to have heard about from some friends of mine that have started using it and it is so easy to make I will never buy hair spray from a store again.
Best part is the cost savings - I didn't have to buy a thing to make this and it really works wonders, it lasts all day and there is no buildup at all on my hair or counter top and floors after I use it.
There are two tricks to making this work for your hair and I'll go over them with you after I give the recipe out.
- 1 cup Water
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 1 tab Vodka, Natural Perservative
- 3-5 drops Essential Oil, Your favorite - for scent
Homemade Hair Spray
- In a small sauce pan, add the 1 cup water and heat until boiling.
- turn off stove and remove pan from heat.
- Add the 4 tsp sugar to the sauce pan and stir until dissolved.
- Add 1 tab vodka and 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil to sauce pan and stir.
- After liquid is cool, pour into a fine mist bottle.
Directions for Use:
Basically, there are two tips I can give you for using this recipe.
- Since everyone has different hair styles and thickness you might want to experiment a little bit with the amount of sugar you use to get the right concoction for you. A little more sugar makes it more stiff, and a little less lightens the hold up.
- When I use this, I spray a fine mist over my hair and let it dry for 30 seconds then add more if I need a stronger hold for that style. Waiting the 30 seconds is the key as it keeps the water from weighting your hair down. You can go light or 80's BIG Hair with this recipe, but if going that big you will definitely want to do it in layers.
I really hope you give this recipe for homemade hair spray a try and let me know how you like it.
© 2012 Laura Rash