- Fashion and Beauty»
- Fashion Accessories
How To Make Floral Hair Accessories
Floral accessories accentuate hairstyles and can pep up even the simplest ponytail. I've noticed recently that the going price locally is approximately $3 to $5 for the average floral hair clip or headband with a rhinestone center and realized they could likely be home crafted for much less. I opted to purchase a few bunches of different faux flowers at $3 per bunch, some $1 packs of elastic headbands and other materials I already had on hand. I determined that my investment was less than $1.50 per finished piece, plus approximately four minutes each to make, and I could design them any way I liked!
List of Materials
- Faux floral bushes
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Felt cut into 3" strips
- Metal hair clips
- Elastic headbands
- Rhinestones, pearl beads, other accessories
- Heat up the glue gun.
- Arrange all materials at your work space while glue heats.
- Disassemble the flowers, one at a time, by removing them from the greenery stems.
- Layer the flowers upside-down with the largest petal on top, wrong-side up.
- (For hair clips) Glue one piece of felt to the top prong of the clip and let dry.
(For headbands) Glue one piece of felt to the sewn-together portion of the headband and let dry.
- Begin gluing the flower petals to the clip/headband, wrong-side down and largest first, using a circle of glue in the center of each petal and layering one on top of the other.
- Once all layers are dry and secure, add decorative accessories of choice to complete the piece.
Fun & Festive Tips
- Use solid flowers or mix and match petals from a variety of flowers for even more unique looks!
- Seek out unconventional blingy accessories in the scrapbooking aisle of your craft store.
- These decorative little hair accessories make wonderful gifts for girls of all ages and sell great at craft shows.