How To Make Your Own Scented Oil
Making Your Own Scented Oils
First begin by gathering your materials. You will need an oil base, I recommend Jojoba oil but a sesame or almond oil will work also. These can be found at most health food stores. Then you will need the essential oil/s that you want to scent the base oil with. Putting the essential oil directly on your skin can cause irritation which is why you need an oil base. I used Patchouli in the photos but other popular scents are lavender, rose, and jasmine. These can be found at a variety of stores in most malls or online. You will also need a dropper, measuring cup, a cup or small jar to mix it in, and a blue or brown vial to put the scented oil in. I recommend blue or brown because a clear vial lets in light which will degrade the oil. Once all the materials are gathered follow these simple instructions to make your own scented oil.
1) Measure out about 1/8th of a cup of Jojoba Oil (or alternative oil)
2) Add drops of desired essential oil using dropper (I use around 5 drops of patchouli to an 1/8th cup of the oil, some essential oils have a lighter fragrance so more may be needed)
3) Stir oils into the base oil until well stirred and you have achieved your desired scent
4) Using dropper fill vial and label
5) Clean up and enjoy your oil
Homemade oils make great gifts to friends and family. You are only limited by your imagination so feel free to experiment with mixing different oils to create your own scents.