- Fashion and Beauty
How To Do A Dominican Roller Set For Your Hair
Dominican Roller Set
If you wanted to know how to do a Dominican roller set, this hub will walk you through it. A Dominican roller set will condition and straighten your curly or tight hair while leaving it soft, shiny and healthy. The secret to the success of this type of roller set is the technique and the types of products used. Dominican hair products are the best products to use for this type of treatment. They have moisturizers and humectants that help protect your hair from harsh elements in the air such as cold heat and humidity. Dominican products seal in moisture and makes your hair stronger with every treatment when used correctly with the right technique. Dominican products work great with heat. Heat activates agents in these products which condition and soften your hair.
Items Needed For A Dominican Rollerset
- Oil for pre-treatment
- Rinse (optional)
- Deep Conditioner
- Leave in Conditioner
- Keratin heat protectant
- Hair shine serum
- Large plastic rollers
- Two prong metal clips
- Bonnet hair dryer
- Blow dryer
- Flat iron
- Large bobby pins
- Triangle hair net
- Silk or satin scarf
- Round brush
- Large comb for detangling your hair
- Rat tail comb
Steps For A Dominican Rollerset
There are several steps to a Dominican roller set that can take a fair amount of time, but the results are well worth it. You can do your own Dominican roller set in the privacy of your home or you can find a Dominican Salon to have you hair done professionally. My hair is naturally curly and when I feel like wearing it straight, I do my own roller set at home. The steps I do are as follows:
- Hot oil treatment - Pre-treating your hair with a moisturizing hot oil treatment will soften and condition dry brittle hair. A commercial hot oil treatment can be used or you can use coconut or olive oil. Heat about 1 tablespoon oil or more for long hair, apply thoroughly to slightly damp hair, cover with a plastic cap and leave it on for 1/2 hour.
- Shampoo - Shampoo your hair with a moisturizing shampoo, getting all of the oil out. One shampoo is sufficient if your hair is very dry. A second shampoo is recommended if you have residue from daily products used.
- Hair rinse - This step is optional. There are rinses available which condition and soften your hair to be used after you've rinsed the shampoo out. You may not need this depending on the condition of your hair.
- Conditioning - Conditioning your hair with a moisturizing conditioner will soften, nourish and protect your hair.
- Deep Condition - This step is highly recommended even after using the regular conditioner. There are several deep conditioners available in the Dominican line of products that are excellent. Apply the deep conditioner to your hair, cover with a plastic cap and leave on for the recommended amount of time. For an even deeper conditioning effect, sit under a bonnet hair dryer for 10 minutes. The results are magnificent.
- Leave in conditioner - Leave in conditioners are wonderful and integral to a Dominican roller set. They soften, strengthen your hair and gives it body. The ingredients also protect your hair from the elements and humidity. After rinsing the deep conditioner out, apply the recommended amount of leave in conditioner and don't rinse out.
- Keratin heat protectant - This protects your hair from the heat used while adding strength and shine to your hair.
Drying your hair
After your hair is set with the rollers, you can either let your hair dry naturally or use a bonnet hair dryer. Using a bonnet hair dryer will take less time and it actually help the conditioners in your hair to penetrate the hair shaft, making it stronger and more elastic. Drying naturally will take several hours depending on your hair length and thickness.
Large plastic rollers which you secure with two prong metal clips are needed for this step. Roller setting starts the straightening process. The size of the rollers you need to use will depend on your hair length. Too large a roller will result in flat hair and too small of a roller will result in tight curls. Use the largest rollers that your hair is able to wrap around without the roller falling out.
Make sure to detangle your hair with a large tooth comb first. It takes practice doing a roller set, so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get it right the first time. Start by sectioning your hair at the top of your forehead. Gently untangle your hair by starting at the ends and working your way up. Then wrap your hair around the roller, making sure to smooth the ends around the roller and roll gently to your scalp.
Secure roller on each end with a metal clip. The following videos will show you how to do a roller set. After your hair is set with rollers, apply the triangle net securely around your rollers to hold them together while drying your hair.
This video is courtesy of Massiel from YouTube
- Dominican Hair Salon By Massiel - Roller Set - YouTube
www.GetYourHairDoneRight.com Lawrenceville, GA & Snellville, GA
This is a good video that shows you how to do the roller set on yourself.
This video is courtesy of Massiel from You Tube
- Dominican Hair Salon By Massiel - Natural Hair Blow-out - YouTube
The flat iron will seal in the products used and finish the straightening process. This has to be performed correctly with the right temperature so as not to damage your hair. The following video will demonstrate how to perform this technique correctly. This process adds lots of sheen. Make sure to use a ceramic flat iron because they lock in moisture and protect your hair. After using the flat iron, apply a little shine serum to your hair for super shine and hold.
This video is courtesy of Lizbeth Muller from You Tube
- How to Straighten Curly Hair : How to Use Big Flat Irons on Curly Hair - YouTube
Learn how to use big flat irons to straighten curly hair with expert hair care tips in this free hair styling video clip. Expert: Liz Muller Contact: www.liz...
This video is courtesy of Isabis from You Tube
Want to wake up to silky hair every morning? Learn how to keep your ends tamed by wrapping your hair Dominican style every night!
Wrapping or Doobie
To maintain a Dominican roller set, you'll have to learn how to wrap your hair which is also known as a "doobie". This will keep your hair shiny, soft and sleek. After your hair is wrapped or put in a doobie, cover it with a silk or satin hair scarf and sleep with it on. When wrapping your hair, think of your head as one big curler. Wrapping your hair around it keeps it straight and smooth. The following videos will demonstrate how to wrap your hair.
If a Dominican roller set and blow out is done properly, your hair will not break at the ends, it will actually help your hair to grow because of the moisturizes in the products and the techique. It is very important for you to use the right products, such as the ones from the Dominican Republic for best results. These products are made with special moisturizers and emollients to condition and protect your hair. Make sure to use top quality ceramic flat irons and hair dryers at the proper settings for your hair. Other products and lower quality styling appliances may cause hair breakage.
This video is courtesy Long Healthy Hair Advisor
- How to Wrap Black Hair
Want to know how to wrap black hair the healthy way? Check out this article.
This video is courtesy of Tasha Wrap's her hair at night
- Hair Tutorial: How Tasha Wrap's Her Hair At Night - YouTube
Hey my beauty chameleons, You all have requested a video on how I wrap my hair at night, so here you all go :) I hope that you all find this video informativ...
Great places to buy Dominican hair products
RoundBrushHair is a source for everything Dominican hair related. Dominican hair products, Dominican hair salons, Dominican stylists, Dominican hair tools and more!
Other hair related hubs by Creativelycc
- Using Henna For Hair Coloring
Using commercial haircoloring made from chemicals can potentially cause damage to your hair, scalp and health over time. I used to use commercial chemical haircoloring and would almost always get a rash in my...
- How To Make Your Own Natural Hair Gel
Flax seeds produce a gel when cooked that makes your hair manageable. This gel is full of antioxidants that can also protect your hair from damage. It also holds in moisture and add shine. 1/4 cup Flax...