- Fashion and Beauty»
- Bath, Shower & Spa Treatments & Products
How to Make Bath Salts for a Gift
What are bath salts?
Bath salts are water-soluble, usually inorganic solid products designed to be added to a bath.
They are said to improve cleaning, improve the experience of bathing, and serve as a vehicle for cosmetic agents. Bath salts have been developed which mimic the properties of natural mineral baths or hot springs.
Making one's own bath salts is a fun, easy-to-do craft. The project that can be enjoyed by crafters of all ages.
This article will teach you how to make bath salts from both Epsom salts and Dead Sea salt, for yourself and to give as a gift.
What is salt?
Table salt, or sodium chloride, is the chemical compound NaCl. Salt occurs naturally in many parts of the world as the mineral halite. The most common place in which salt is found is sea water.Table salt is used extensively in ground or granulated form as both a food seasoning and a preservative.
Epsom salts are made up of a naturally occurring mineral that is found in water. More properly known as magnesium sulfate, Epsom salts derives its popular name from the town of Epsom, England, where the compound was first distilled from water.
Epsom salts are easily obtained at any drug store or supermarket. Inexpensive and versatile, the salts can be used for a number of different applications around the home.
A purer form of Epsom salts can be ordered from companies that supply salt for the manufacture of bath products.
Many of the applications have to do with expediting healing, as well as improving the quality of the skin and helping with basic grooming.
Dead Sea Salt
The Dead Sea — 1280 feet (400 meters) below sea level — is the lowest natural place on Earth.
The waters of the Dead Sea are very unique, having a total salt concentration that is 10 times higher than ocean water.
The Dead Sea is 33% salt, and the oceans are only 3% salt. The composition of the brine is also unique — magnesium, potassium, and calcium chlorides, and a high concentration of bromides.
How to Make Bath Salts
Bath salts are easy to make —for your personal use and for gift-giving. You will probably want to make two containers of bath salts at a time, one for yourself and one to give as a gift.
- Measure the salt and put it into a glass bowl.
- Add the colorant, a few drops at a time. If you purchase the primary colors (red, yellow, and blue), you can mix them to make whatever color you would like.
- Using a wooden or plastic spoon, mix the salt and colorant well.
- Add essential oil, a few drops at a time. The amount you add is a personal preference. Don't add too many drops at once.
- Using your spoon, mix the essential oil into the salt.
- Add botanical additives, if desired. A small amount is all that you'll need.
- Stir the botanical additives into the salt mixture.
- After all ingredients have been well-mixed, spoon your bath salt into a glass container that has an air- tight seal.
- Glass bowl
- Plastic or wooden spoon
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Glass container with tight-fitting lid
- Epsom Salts
- Dead Sea Salt
Intended for use in melted and liquid soaps, bath salts, bath fizzies, body scrubs, or lotions.
- Essential Oil
Highly concentrated plant extracts distilled from a variety of plant material including leaves, flowers, needles, fruit peels, grasses, wood and roots. Adds scent to your bath salts. Lemon essential oil was added to the Dead Sea bath salts recipe used by the author.
Botanicals (dried herbs and flowers) that add scent and texture to your bath salts. Lavender flowers were added to the Epsom salts bath salts recipe used by the author.
Epsom Salts Bath Salt Recipe
These are the ingredients used by the author. The choice of colorant and additive is up to you.
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- 6 drop blue colorant
- ½ tablespoon (1/4 ounce) lavender flowers
Dead Sea Salt Bath Salts Recipe
These are the ingredients used used by the author. The choice of colorant and essentail oil is up to you.
- 2 cups Dead Sea salt
- 22 drops yellow colorant
- 4 drops red colorant
- 10 drops lemon essential oil