- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair»
- Hair Coloring
How to Naturally Highlight Hair, lighten hair with camomile tea ond other products
Hair highlights make you look younger and brighten your entire persona.
There are a number of natural ways to highlight hair and they are described below.
The difference between highlights and hair lightening is that the lighter hair colour appears in streaks and gives a more natural looking mane.
The Sun - Highlight Hair naturaly with no Additives or Chemicals
The simplest way to get highlights naturally is to sit in the sun.
No matter how dark your hair is, in summer, the parts most exposed to the sun get lighter.
Although UV rays plus heat will naturally highlight your hair, sitting for days on end under the full glare of the sun may cause problems ranging from sunburn, blisters, excessive tanning and skin cancer.
So do not overdo the sun effect.
Safe sunbathing for the Hair - Get the highlights but no burns
- Use a strong SPF cream (minimum of 15)
- Do not leave your entire body uncovered for more than 2 hours a day.
- Lie face down.
- Cover yourself with a towel or large cloth (including the face)
- Wear sunglasses
- Fan your hair out on a cloth
- Rearrange it periodically, so the highlight are natural looking
These sun induced natural hair highlights take a while to develop, so don't check for highlights every hour. Incorporate the hair sunbathing with your summer routine and watch you hair shimmer.
What you need to lighten your hair naturally with rhubarb
- Rhubarb stems
- Powdered rhubarb roots
- A large saucepan
- Combs, Towels
- Sunlight or a hair dryer
Which of these would you prefer to lighten hair naturally
Naturally Lighten your Hair with Rhubarb
It gives the hair a lovely yellow brown colour.
One advantage of rhubarb induced highlights is that the colour is just a few shades lighter than your hair, producing natural looking highlights for the hair.
Caution, if your hair is very light, rhubarb may darken it.
Steps in Rhubarb Hair Highlights
- Boil the rhubarb stems in water.
- Use two cupfulls of stem in a liter of wate
- Bring to a boil then let it gently steam for about 30 minutes.
- For a more intensive effect, put in some powdered rhubarb root.
- Pour the strained liquid on your hair and get some sun time or sit under a gentle heat dryer.
- If you are using a dryer then gently braid the hair, so that the heat effect is uneven, producing great looking highlights.
- Repeat at least once a week.
Lemon for Highlighting hair at Home
Lemon hair lightening is one of the most used and time honored natural hair lightning methods.
Almost every dark haired teenager has at one time tried to lighten the hair with lemon juice.
The process is very simple.
- Squeeze the juice of four lemons.
- If your hair is very long, increase the number of lemons or dilute with some water.
- Make a hair mask out of the lemon juice
- Get some suntime or use a hair dryer .
- As with most natural remedies, the colour develops gradually, so repeat the process once a week.
Word of Caution when lightening - Lemon brings out the red tones in hair. If you are a bright brunnette you may end up a redhead!
Teatime - Use Tea to add natural looking highlights to your hair
A number of my friends swear by tea as a means of getting your hair a few shades lighter.
The most commonly used tea is chamomile. The highlights produced by this tea are better noticed on lighter hair. However berry teas - either blackberry or cherry give great highlights on darker coloured hair.
How to Naturally Highlight hair with Tea
- Dunk 5 teabags into about a half liter of boiling water.
- Lower the heat and leave it on the for 5 minutes.
- Pour all over your hair or spray it on
- As usual, get some suntime or blow dry with low heat.
One easy way is to enhance the hairlights is to brew a cup of tea and spray it on each morning before you dry and style.