How to make aftershave lotion
This page has information about following:
- What is aftershave lotion
- Formulation considerations
- A commercially viable formula
- Procedure for making it in lab, and
- Suggested label contents.
What is aftershave lotion
Aftershave lotion is used to relieve irritation caused due to shaving. It also gives feeling of comfort and freshness when applied just after shaving. These are also used to prevent any possible infection that may be caused due to minor cuts that incur during the shaving process, hence most of these have ingredients that impart mild to moderate astringent properties to it.
An ideal formula should impart comfort, freshness, and should restore the suppleness of facial skin. It should also neutralize the excess soap that may be left due to use of shaving cream and restore normal pH of the skin.
Aftershave lotion contains hydroalcohic solutions coupled with humectants and cooling agents. Most commonly used alcohol is ethanol, humectants may be propylene glycol or glycerin. Menthol is added to impart characteristic cooling effect. Astringents like alum can also be incorporated in the formula.
A Simple formulation is nothing but mixture of ethanol, water, and a pleasing masculine perfume. The desired properties are achieved by regulating the ratio of ethanol to optimum levels. Perfumes appreciated in aftershave lotion are sandalwood, tobacco, senegal and spice blends.
quantity sufficient to make 100ml.
How to make aftershave lotion
Caution: Ethanol is highly inflammable and volatile hence do not keep any fire source in the room where you are working. Keep volatile liquids in tightly closed containers.
- Step 1: Measure ethanol according to the formula given above, weigh cetrimide accordingly and dissolve cetrimide in ethanol.
- Step 2: Now weigh glycerin, propylene glycol and menthol and dissolve these ingredients in 30 ml of water in a separate container.
- Step 3: Slowly add the alcoholic solution made in step 1 to aqueous solution prepared in step 2 with continuous mixing.
- Step 4: If you do not get a clear transparent solution then use talc to clear haziness. Take 2 gm( around 2% of liquid volume) of adsorbent talc, add it to the solution and mix it thoroughly by shaking the container or using a glass stirrer. Allow talc to settle for 5 minutes then filter the clear superficial liquid.
- Step 5: Add perfume to impart pleasing odor. The final product is ready to be packed in a narrow mouth airtight container.
Popular marketed preparations are:
- Old Spice
- Park Avenue,
- Rebel by Oriflame etc.
Suggested label contents
The label should contain information in accordance with guidelines issued by local FDA, In general aftershave lotion container label should display following information : -
- Name of the product: Brand name
- Contents: Percentage of alcohol and/or any active ingredients used.
- Caution: Inflammable, for external use only.
- Net Weight: As present in the final container.
- Manufacturing License Number as obtained by regulatory authority of country where it is being manufactured.
- Manufacturing Batch Number: As applicable.
- Manufacturing Date – Month and year of manufacturing.
- Expiry Date – Month and year of expected expiry.
- Maximum Retail Price- As applicable.
- Place Of Manufacturing- The plant where it is manufactured.