- Fashion and Beauty»
Kinds of Fabric
A fabric is a material made from fiber on thread by weaving, knitting and felting. There are two kinds of fibers: the natural and the manmade fibers.
Natural Fibers - are fabrics made from vegetable/plant and animal matter. These fabrics have been used by man since the earliest time.
Manmade fibers or synthetic fibers - fabrics that come from materials like bark of wood or seed and other cellural products, and which mixed or combined with other chemicals to produce different kinds of fabric used for industrial processes.
The following are the different kinds of fabric from natural fibers.
1. Linen - fabric that comes from flax plant. This is smart, lustrous, flat and strong. It is highly absorbent and is best for tablecloth, sheets and shirts. It is known as the summer fiber.
2. Wool - it is made from animal hair, used for coat because it is warm and durable.
3. Cotton - fabric used in tropical countries. It is a good conductor of heat, easy to iron and durable.
4. Silk - comes from the silkworm, it is known as the aristocrat fabric because of its softness, fineness and shininess.
Characteristics of fabric suitable for unisex garments
1. Print and design should be applicable for both males and females.
2. Fabric texture should be comfortable to wear.
3. A good conductor of heat.
4. Absorbs perspiration freely and dries easily to keep the body cool.
5. Easy to laundry.
6. Does not wrinkle easily;, it should be easy to iron.
7. Color should vary the taste of both men and women.