Olive Oil and Hair: Easy Steps for a Simple Conditioning Treatment
For centuries, olive oil has proven to be helpful in many different ways. Not only is it a necessity in any chef’s kitchen, but olive oil is especially beneficial in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and monounsaturated fatty acids, both of which have been found to reduce the risk of cancers and other serious illnesses. However, olive oil is also an exceptional moisturizer. Many individuals have come to discover that its application on their hair, skin, and nails have improved their health and overall appearance.
With the general condition of the economy, it has become increasingly difficult to indulge oneself with hair products whilst not wasting a fortune. Home remedies are become extremely popular, and many may argue that their overall effectiveness can undoubtedly compete with the more expensive brand-named products.
An olive oil conditioning treatment is easy to perform in the comfort of your own home. Here’s how to do it.
First you will need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Measuring cup
- Mug or deep plate
- Comb (preferably wide-toothed)
- Shower cap
- Conditioner (optional)
- Prepare the olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is preferred simply because its benefits far excel those of any other. For short, shoulder-length hair, to medium-length hair, I would recommend 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- Pour the 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil from the measuring cup into a microwavable mug or deep plate.
- Microwave the olive oil for about 15-30 seconds, depending on the efficiency of your appliance. The oil should be warm but not scalding hot. If the oil is not yet warm, continue to heat until the desired temperature is achieved. If it is too hot, let the olive oil cool for a few minutes.
- Place the towel over the shoulders to prevent any dripping on clothing.
- Begin the application by separating the hair. Begin with thin, 2-inch sections at the nape of the neck and work your way up the head.
- Once this is completed, apply any olive oil that remains on the hair generously.
- Using your comb, carefully brush through the hair to ensure the olive oil was applied evenly.
- Place the shower cap over the hair and let the oil sit for 20-30 minutes.
- When it is time to wash the olive oil off the hair, begin by turning on the shower and steaming the room. The heat will help activate the oil treatment. Do not enter the shower. Sit and relax for a few minutes.
- Before showering, make sure the water is at an ideal temperature. You will no longer need the heat or steam. Remove the shower cap and begin shampooing the hair. Make sure to remove all the excess oil or the hair will be left too greasy.
- It is absolutely optional to apply conditioner, although conditioner is always recommended for curly or coarse hair.
- Once finished, style as usual.
- Pay extra attention to the crown of the head, or the middle section of your hair. It is usually the driest. However, do not apply olive oil in excess, the crown of the head can also be the greasiest area, as well.
- A wide-toothed comb is preferred as it will not squeeze the oil from your hair as you brush through it.
- For a more effective deep conditioning treatment, leave the olive oil on the hair overnight.
- Try to deep condition you hair once a week. You will definitely see a noticeable difference in the health and overall appearance of your hair.
The author is not responsible for any unwanted effects as a result of the information and/or suggestions contained in this article.