- Fashion and Beauty»
Religious Jewellery - Why do people wear Jewelry with Religious Symbols or Pictures of Gods and Goddesses?
5 Popular Reasons for wearing Religious Jewelry
Many people wear jewelry with religious symbols. Some of the most popular symbols worn as Jewellery are Om, Cross, Swastika, Star of David etc. People tend to wear all sort of religious symbols and pictures of yantra, gods and goddesses etc as pendants and rings. Why do people wear jewelry with religious symbols or images of Gods or Goddesses? What prompts people to choose such jewelry for wearing? I am giving below some of the reasons why people opt to wear jewelry with religious symbols.
- First and foremost, many people wear religious jewelry to feel closer to God or to reaffirm their faith in a particular religion or sect. While Hindus may wear an Om symbol or Swastika, Christians may wear a Cross.
- Secondly, many wear jewelry with religious meaning to show that they are religious or to declare their faith openly to others.
- Many people wear religious jewelry because they have received it as a gift during a religious ceremony or celebration and because of the sentimental value.
- Some others wear such ornaments because of their ornamental value or because they look pretty and trendy. Diamonds or other Gemstone studded Om pendants and Cross are very much in fashion and are extremely popular.
- Many people wear religious symbols as a protective talisman. People tend to believe that wearing such jewelry keeps them safe from dangers and evil spirits.
So what are your reasons of wearing jewelry with religious symbols?
Hindu Religious Symbols worn as Jewelry
The most popular Hindu Religious Symbols worn as Jewelry are Om and Swastika. Hindus are also normally seen wearing the pictures of Gods and Goddesses as Pendants or Jewelry made with Rudraksha Beads etc. Among these the most popular Gods are Lord Ganesh, Durga, Hanuman and Goddess Lakshmi. Some may also wear popular yantras like the sri yantra as an amulet.
I am not much a fan of wearing religious symbols and pictures as jewelry but I often end up wearing an Om, Laxmi or Ganesh Pendant which I have in my possession. These pendants are special to me and has sentimental value which makes me wear them often as they are gifts from those who matter to me.
I am not someone who likes to hold religion on my sleeves but the sentimental value attached to these jewelry makes me wear them often. What about you? Do you wear Jewelry with religious Symbols or Pictures of Gods or Goddesses? If so, what are your reasons for wearing them?
Content Copyright © 2012 Anamika S Jain, All Rights Reserved.