Popular Stretch Mark Solutions
If stretch marks run in your family,there is a high chance that you will get them too. Keep this in mind so that you can prevent them before they start.
Stretch marks? What are those?!
Stretch marks - one single word that will make women all over the world cringe. Stretch marks are lines and marks that a person (actually not only women),can get on areas of their body such as the stomach,legs,arms,and breasts. Usually these marks appear during or after pregnancy, but there are other times that they can pop up as well.
For example,if you have recently lost a great deal of weight,then you may notice some stretch marks on your thighs or butt. The faster the weight loss,the less time the skin has to adjust to your new size,and the result is stretch marks. Skin is very elastic,but as with most things,it can lose some of that elasticity after being stretched and pulled many times. It will stretch as much as it needs to,but the problem is when you need it to go back to a smaller size (like when you lose weight).
People who lift weights regularly and have accumulated any amount of muscle mass also are fair game for stretch marks. The skin gets stretched across the muscles of the arms or legs,just as it would in somebody who gained weight. Even people who are quite thin and young can develop stretch marks. It all depends on the elasticity of your skin,and genes can play a large role as well. It's easy to see that nobody really is safe from getting stretch marks,even if it's only a few.
Keeping stretch marks at bay
Stretch marks can really do a number on your self esteem. That is why so many people out there are looking for solutions to this common problem. Thankfully,many different companies have developed products claiming to aid in stretch mark prevention and removal. However,it is quite difficult,if not impossible to banish them completely once they have formed. The best thing is not to get stretch marks in the first place.
Since stretch marks usually occur after the skin has been stretched significantly,it can only help to keep your skin moisturized daily with a good lotion. It is said that 100% cocoa butter works very well in keeping away stretch marks during pregnancy,so it can't hurt to use some as part of your daily routine after showering,even if you aren't expecting.
There is a newer product called a cocoa butter bar,which looks something like a bar of soap,and women swear that it works wonders. It is extremely cheap,at a cost of only $3-$4 for two bars. One bar will last you a long time,and at that price it is definitely worth a try.
Always remember that your best defense against stretch marks is to keep your body hydrated,and maintain a steady,healthy weight.
I already have them. What do I do?
There are so many different methods that are used to get rid of or fade stretch marks. Be very careful where you invest your money,because many of the lotions and creams on the market really do nothing more than moisturize your skin. Below are some very good methods to fade away stretch marks,and most of these products are also cost effective.
- If you are very serious about getting rid of those marks,then consider an at home microdermabrasion kit,or cloth,to use on your problem areas. Microdermabrasion will encourage new skin cells to grow at a faster rate,and while you probably will still notice the marks if you have a lot of them,I've read many stories from women who have good results in fading them to where they are almost invisible.
- Some women also claim that massage has helped lighten their stretch marks faster. If it doesn't work,the relaxation of the massage will make you feel wonderful anyways!
- Here is a rather strange home remedy - coffee grounds! Mix coffee grounds with your regular lotion twice a day and rub well into your skin. Or,you can choose to use the grounds only,and sort of buffer them into your skin,leaving it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. Supposedly the coffee routine takes a couple weeks to see results,but it is said to cause a noticeable difference in the color and deepness of stretch marks.
- Flaxseed oil is a good one to try. It will cost you somewhere around $10-$15 depending on size and brand,and they sell it at wal-greens and other drug stores. Just rub it onto the stretch marks a couple times a day,and you will soon see results.
- A product by the name of Bio Oil has received a lot of great reviews when used for stretch marks. It is also used for scars,among other things. But it makes sense that it would work on stretch marks,because a stretch mark is much like a scar. A small bottle will run you around $10,or you can opt for one of the larger ones,which of course cost a bit more.
- It is said by many researchers that Vitamin E can help in the prevention of stretch marks,and also help fade any that you already have. What Vitamin E does is help your skin retain elasticity,and become firmer. If you are using it on old stretch marks,it penetrates deep into your skin and prompts growth of new skin cells. You can find many lotions that contain Vitamin E,or just buy the capsules and break them open,spreading it over the area you wish to treat.
- If money is not an option for you,there is always laser therapy. It can get quite expensive,but to some it will be money well spent. It is not generally considered to be painful,but some people do say they fill a tingling sensation,or a feeling sort of like somebody snapping a rubber band against you. Sometimes more than one treatment will be required,so make sure you consider that fact before considering laser therapy.
- Revitol,and Trilastin-SR are also good products that have made quite a name for themselves in removing and preventing stretch marks. These products are not a cheap home remedy,as a small bottle of Revitol will cost around $40,and Trilastin around $70-$80. Revitol actually comes with a 90 day money back gaurantee,so there is nothing to lose by trying it. There are plenty of satisfied customers who have tried these products,so you may feel that this is the right choice for you.
- There is also a fairly new product by the name of Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy. Reviews are very good on this product. In fact,80% of women who used Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy noticed a visible improvement in their stretch marks after 4 weeks of use. However,it is suggested that you should use the product for 12 consecutive weeks in order to achieve maximum results. It will cost you about $35-$40,but with such good reviews I'm sure many of you will consider it as an option.
If all else fails, feel free to experiment. That is how new remedies are discovered,and it can't hurt to try. Just remember not to use any harsh chemicals on your body!
- Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy | Mederma.com
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy is an advanced cream formula that is clinically proven to reduce the appearance of your stretch marks.
- Microdermabrasion and Stretch Marks: My Experience
How microderm abrasion helps get rid of stretch marks.