- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
The Beauty of Vitamin C
Hints and Tips
- Buying a smaller bottle means the serum will remain more potent. A larger bottle usually means the product is less concentrated. Look at the percentage of Vitamin C, 20% is normal to produce an effect. Once opened, the shelf life automatically declines, choose glass bottles as they preserve the product longer than plastic ones.
- Exfoliate twice a week, or if you have oily skin every other day. The vitamin cannot penetrate a dead layer of skin effectively and you waste the treatment. The normal skin renewal cycle is a month, or in dry skin up to six weeks. Don’t over exfoliate as it can create skin sensitivity.
- Use the serum before your moisturizer and after using a softening tonic. The tonic will prepare your skin and allow the serum to absorb more effectively otherwise it will drag and sit on the surface. If you have oily skin/or it is humid you may not need moisturizer, but apply sunscreen afterwards.
Beauty inside and out
Vitamin C has always been known to be essential for our health, taking extra vitamins when it is winter or when the immune system is low. The vitamin is water-soluble, which means you cannot store it and it needs to be replenished on a daily basis and is essential for other vitamins to be absorbed.
Although it is a great beauty treatment, it cannot be stabilized; hence there are a range of products in capsules or powders to be mixed at home that have come on to the market. There are less expensive serums and creams available that are combined with other derivatives that allow for a longer shelf life. These are not as active as the concentrated versions, (which can be used as masks or serums or as treatments) and are safe for daily use. The concentrated products should ideally be used as a course, or a few times a week, rather than on a daily basis because it could overstimulate the skin, resulting in redness or bumps and lumps if too much oil has been produced.
How long does it last?
People are even making their own serums with Vitamin C crystals; the only danger is what you mix it with. Natural products go off very quickly and can cause reactions, hence beauty companies use preservatives to stabilize a product to ensure a longer shelf life. As a general rule, anything without a preservative and oxidize within four weeks, so use it up or throw it out. Recently, Vitamin C beauty products have become popular as a quick, instant beauty boost, but understanding how and when to use the products can bring faster and more effective results.
Use it as a treatment
4. As a treatment, exfoliate the skin and if possible apply the mask while in the bath, (not shower) to allow the mask to absorb. If using for the first time, twice a week for a month, then once a week for maintenance. The steam will soften the pores and allow the Vitamin C to absorb rapidly.
6. Don’t expect miracles, allow a month for the skin cycle to take effect to feel and see any changes. Many will feel change straightaway, but don’t be tempted to use more to speed up results. It will only over stimulate the skin cells.
Reactions and rashes
5. Skin reactions are possible as Vitamin C is very strong. If you get lumps or redness, stop using the product, as it is nature’s way of telling you that you don’t need it! If you still want to try using Vitamin C, use it as a mask that can be washed off or use a less potent formula only at night.
A quick boost
Using Vitamin C inside and out is healthy and is essential for everyone.
It's a great way to boost the skin after a harsh winter and to prevent sun damage during the summer and has been shown to help reduce sunspots and is used in skin lightening products in Asia.
An ideal solution and remedy for dry skin without having to use heavy creams and an anti-aging preventative for all ages.
When to use your Vitamin C
Once or twice a week
Cleanse and exfoliate
Exfoliate, every other day
Moisturizer or Cream
Favorite beauty product
What makes the most difference?
For over a decade I worked for an Asian beauty house who sold the most expensive face cream in the world, advising on beauty routines and solving skincare issues, tailoring routines to lifestyles, because it is the maintenance that matters as well as the products.
With the harsh pollution in today’s society, we have to protect inside and out, that’s why nature gave us Vitamin C.
© 2014 S T Alvyn