Tips on how to save money and make your hair color last longer
Permanant Hair colors
Make your hair color last longer
Men and women are both using hair color to improve their appearance these days, and this process is not cheap especially if you have it done professionally. Therefore with the ever increasing costs of living we need to save our hard earned money wherever we can. I hope to show you a few tips on how to save money and make your hair color last longer.
We all love to go to the hairdressers and be pampered. My favorite part is when they massage the conditioner into my hair after the color has been applied. It is so relaxing it nearly puts me to sleep. To save money you could have your hair colored professionally then the next time do it yourself.
The best way of doing this is to make sure you are using the same color as the professional. In most cases you will not be able to use the same product, although you could be sneaky and ask what brand of color they use. You may even be able to see the color and brand when choosing your color from the color chart.
Coloring your own hair
More and more people are learning how to color their own hair to reduce these expenses. If you are not confidant enough to do it yourself then ask a friend if they could do it for you and return the favor by doing theirs on the same day.
This way you can still obtain your hair treatment in a relaxing environment and help one another. You can do this in your home then alternate to their home and of course relax with a coffee and treats while waiting for your hair to color
Shampoos and Conditioners for treated Hair
Choose the right color
Here are a few things to keep in mind when doing your own hair:
- Decide whether you want a semi permanent or permanent hair color
- For the first timer choose a color similar to your own so the re-growth will not be so obvious.
- Make sure it is a permanent color with one hundred percent grey coverage if you need that.
- Never apply color to newly shampooed hair. Color will take better with the natural oils in your hair before treatment.
- For the hard to cover grey sections of hair, often these are the side bangs on men and women make sure you put the color on those areas first to give it longer to take.
- Do a test first before using a new product in case you have any allergies
- Choose a product with its own crème conditioner
- Read all the instructions and wear protective clothing. You don’t want to stain or bleach your clothes.
- Choose the right shampoo and conditioner
Where possible choose the same brand of shampoo and conditioner as your color and make sure it is specifically designed for colored or treated hair. Some shampoos can strip the color from your hair.
Avoid washing your hair every day as each time you wash your hair you are washing out your color. Reduce the amount of shampoo you use and massage gently then condition in the same manner and rinse.
Excessive use of hair dryers will damage your hair, or use on low heat. Towel dry and brush it dry naturally where possible.
Hair care appliances
Protecting your hair
Here are a few tips to protect your hair in the everyday situation:
- The UV rays of the sun will damage your hair so wear a hat
- Chlorine will damage the color of your hair. Wear a cap if possible when swimming in a pool.
- If your hair is very oily, trying brushing some baby powder through it to soak up the excess oil
- Our water has additives added like chlorine so use a water purifier to remove these before washing your hair.
- Work with a friend when it is time to retouch the roots in between coloring.
By working with a friend like I suggested and following the above tips on how to make your hair color last longer you should also save more money to spend on other necessary things.