- Fashion and Beauty»
- Fashion Designers
Views and Advice on Today’s Fashion Design.
The beauty about today’s fashion design is that it can be experienced by anyone with an interest in fashion. Whereas, in today’s world fashion design has become a marvelous art form for both men and women. The most extravagant feature of fashion design, would be its renowned catwalk. This is when models parade on stage or on the catwalk, modelling designer clothing in front of an audience, at fashion design venues. Plus, there are many ways of showing these stylish garments, by using fashion design accessories for example, designer jewelry, designer hats, and designer shoulder bags or handbags. Naturally, most of these are consumer products that go on displayed at top high street fashion design stores.
Coco Chanel Fashion Design
- Fashion design is a well-established form of art, that is influenced by culture and collective attitudes. Whereas, fashion designers create clothing and other everyday lifestyle accessories through design. Also, today’s fashion design is split into two fundamental categories; haute couture or bespoke and ready to wear.
- Haute couture or bespoke clothing which are specifically designed custom sized clothes made to fit an individual person.
- Ready to wear clothing, known as casual or everyday wear is also divided up into two categories; designer, creator and confection collections. Designer collections are of a higher quality, that represent an attitude designed to make a statement, rather than for sale! Plus, both haute couture or bespoke and ready to wear, are designed for mass marketing and modeled on international catwalks.
The First Fashion Designer.
- Fashion design is believed to have begun in the 19Th century with Charles Frederick Worth, who is also considered as the inventor of this great art. His recognition as a fashion designer came about, by being the first designer to have his label sewn into the garments that he had designed. He also had a well-established fashion house in Paris, but before his newly invented ways of design, clothing was made by anonymous dressmakers, where fashion values derived from the designs worn by royalty. Through time his newly establish method on betraying his designs became so famous that people could correspond to designs made by The House of Worth. This is known as the beginning of fashion design, where people can follow a tradition of creating clothing represented with a symbol of the brand. Furthermore, only clothing designed or created after 1858 would be considered as fashion design.
Today’s Fashion Designers.
- Fashion designers are those who design and create clothes. Mostly these are the people responsible for the brand and product, but in general there’s a lot more people involve in the process of fashionable design. For instance, a stylist coordinates the clothes, jewellery, and accessories used in fashion photography and catwalk presentations. Whereas, an illustrator draws and chooses what colours to use on clothes designed for commercial use. Although, the main proprietor of these designs would be the fashion designer. Below are some famous fashion designers that most people are familiar with today, not to mention a few!
- Calvin Klein, one of the most famous of all time; an American fashion designer who open a store in New York City in 1968 retailing men’s and women’s clothes. He was also nominated as number 1 fashion designer in the world 2012 and since then has gone on to open several fashion design stores.
- Coco Chanel, is a leading brand name in fashion today, with designs not only in fashion wear but also fragrances, fine jewelry and watches. The famed fashion designer Coco Chanel was born Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel on August 19, 1883, in Saumur, France and died January 10, 1971, Paris, France. Coco Chanel created timeless designs that are still popular today. Whereas, she is the only sole fashion designer to be named as one of the most important people of the century by Time Magazine.
- Ralph Lauren, who is renowned for his wonderful designs and for the brand that he established: Polo Ralph Lauren. Whereas, he struck fame in 1972 when he designed and introduce a short sleeve shirt with the Polo logo on it.
- Kate Spade, who is the co-founder of the brand “Kate Spade New York”, has over 140 retail shops and outlet stores across the United States. Whereas, she is famous for her designer handbags, clothing and jewelry. Also, in 2017 she was named one of the most creative people in business by Fast Company.
Kate spade New York.
Becoming a Fashion designer.
- To become a fashion designer, you must first recognize that fashion design is an art. This will enable you to work on an artistic, creative personality, by learning how to create good drawings that will enable you to express your ideas through sketching. Fashion designers must also have special skills for combining colors, tones and shapes, have a good visual imagination, be able to think in-three dimension, and have the appropriate skills to transform their ideas into garments. Furthermore, it is very important to learn as much as possible about fashion design, by reading fashion design magazines, journals, and books on fashion design history and new trends.
Fashion Industries Worldwide.
- British fashion design: London has long been recognized as the capital of the United Kingdom’s fashion industry. Whereas, a wide range of foreign designs have mixed with the British fashion designer styles. Although, the British style is known to be smart but original, recently it has become a bit eccentric by fusing traditional styles with present-day fashionable methods. Some of the most famous British brands and designers include: Burberry, Paul Smith, Alfred Dunhill, Alexander Mc Queen, Neil Barrett, Mulberry, Thomas pink, and Matthew Williamson.
- American fashion design: A lot of the American fashion houses are based in New York City, also there’s a significant number of fashion houses based in Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, and Dallas. However, today’s American fashion design is concentrated around a presentable, urban, casual style; that reflects an athletic health- conscious lifestyle of urban city-dwellers. Some of the most famous American brands and designers include: Calvin Klein, Anna sue, Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade, Tom Ford, Perry Ellis, Donna Karan, and Liz Claiborne.
- French fashion design: A lot of French fashion houses are based in Paris, which is, not only the capital of France but also the capital of French fashion. Traditionally, French fashion is known as being chic and stylish, which is defined by its sophistication; clean-cut with smart fixtures. Furthermore, French fashion is also internationally acclaimed. Some of the most famous French brands and designers include: Coco Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Gianfranco Ferre, and L’ Oreal.
- Chinese fashion design; has very delicate designs but unique within its own right because of its continual use of bright colours. This array of colours creates a modern twist towards todays Chinese fashion designs. There are also many fashion designers in the region of China, Hong Kong, and Macau. Some of the most famous brands and designers include: Chocheng, Flora Cheong-Leen, Betty Clemo, Ma Ke, Eddie Lau, Kevin Poon, and Masha Ma.
- Japanese fashion design: A lot of the Japanese fashion houses are based in Tokyo. The Japanese are renowned for their loose and shapeless designs, where colors tend to be toned-down and subtle along with splendidly textured fabrics. Some of the most famous Japanese brands and designers include: Kenzo Takada, Issey Miyake, Yohji Yamamoto, and Rei Kawakubo.
Shopping for Top of The Range Fashion.
- Fashion design wear, can be purchased at any fashion design retail outlet. Also, fashion design jewelry can be found in any top of the range Jewelry department. These products can also be purchased online at any fashion design website. Furthermore, there is always those larger fashion departments, that you can visit whilst on holidays. For example, Rue du Faubourg Saint Honore Paris, is where you can find all the main fashion houses like Dior, Givenchy and Hermes.
Fashion Week London 2017
© 2017 George Gormley