How to Make a Sock Bun: Professional and Fun Hairstlye
Simple and Sophisticated
Tight buns are simple and can be worn casually to the grocery store or to a special event like a wedding or prom. Recently, a special roller was advertised on TV to create this look. Pay for the product, pay for the shipping and once you get it you realize you could have got the same look for free. Here, I will explain to you how to make a sock bun, a free alternative to Hot Buns.
What You Need
You only need a few items to complete this look and I guarantee you have them laying around your house.
- One sock that is similar to your hair color (pick a thicker sock for a bigger bun)
- You or your friend's hair
- Hair tie
- Bobby pins
Let's Make It Happen
- Take a sock, preferably not an ankle sock, and cut the toe off with a pair of scissors. To make sure your bun looks natural, try to pick a sock that is close to the color of your hair.
- Roll the sock into a doughnut shape, starting from the cut off end. Make sure the sock is rolled tightly.
- Put your hair in a ponytail. You can place the ponytail high for a high bun or at the back of the neck for a low and casual bun. The ponytail is where the center of your bun will be.
- Put the hair from your ponytail through the center of the sock you rolled. Start wrapping your hair around the sock, evenly covering the sock so it doesn't show through. Move up the ponytail until your the sock is pressed tightly to the back of your head.
- Use a comb to tuck in any fly away hairs.
- Secure the bun with bobby pins and hair clips. Push the bobby pins under the bun so they don't show.
- (Optional) For a classy look, add a sparkly hair band or rhinestone clips to your hair.
- (Optional) Spray with a light hold hairspray. This is not necessary if your hair is long and won't fall out. If you have short layers that may poke out of the bun, hairspray is a good option to keep your look sleek.
Why It's Great
This look is wonderful because it can be worn for any event. It is tight and will stay in place during a night of wild dancing or an intense basketball game. You can also put it in and be ready for a wedding. Women pay big bucks to get this look at the salon, and after a little practice yours will look professional.
People of any age can wear this look without looking silly. Little girls can wear two small socks for cute high buns. Teenage girls can let some of their hang out for a tousled flirty look. Professional women can wear a high bun and look sleep and sophisticated. The sock bun is classic and will always be trendy.
Choose your sock and start wrapping a hot bun!