Wearing White After Labor Day Rocks
Wearing white after Labor Day? No way!! Rethink that idea! Wearing white after Labor Day rocks! You will be dressing on the edge and up-to-date while making those spring and summer pieces year round essentials! Save money by taking these looks through the year!
Learn More About Me And HubPages
A Few Basic Rules
My grandmother would NEVER have worn white after Labor Day. White shoes, blouses, pants, skirts and dresses would all have been tucked away into the back of the closet to wait until spring burst forth once again to be seen. She was born in 1895 girls!! Get into the present and keep your white clothing items out front all year long!
There are many ways to wear white in the fall and winter without looking ridiculous! Here are a few simple rules to keeping it in check:
- Wear winter weight clothing. White jeans, white wool blazer, and a white denim jacket are all right on track for fall and winter. Pair them with fall prints and colors and they will rock! White jeans with a print top and a black blazer and black heels will have you strutting in style!
- Pair your whites with fall or winter colors. Toss the pastels and florals into the back - no need for them with your whites in the fall and winter! Pull out the jewel tones and earth tones and the whites will not only pop, but they will make your entire outfit glisten!
- Keep your "white percentage" below your "color percentage". This is not as complicated as it sounds. If your wearing white, make sure that there is more color in your outfit than white. Your jewelry and shoes should have color. Your handbag should have color. Your jacket should have color. You should have less white overall than you have color.
- If you wear white shoes, do not wear white clothes. White shoes should have additional white accessories to give them balance, but your clothing should be based in color. Your accessories can be white print, but they should be mainly white to give your shoes the pop of power they will need. Against a palette of jewel tones, white accessories and shoes are awesome!
- Wear creams and eggshell with earth tones. Wear whites with jewel tones, metallics and blacks.
Some of my favorites are:
- white button-front shirt with black leggings, black pumps, leopard print belt, leopard print handbag, black earrings and bracelets
- white sundress with denim military jacket, denim heels, gold earrings and bracelets, gold handbag
- white skinny jeans with silver oversize, metal-studded T, black lace cami, black leather blazer, silver heels, silver handbag
White summer essentials can be great in the fall and winter. Make sure to build the outfit well and you will be up-to-date and sporting a cutting edge outfit. Give it a try and see what a great look it is!
Photos and Text Copyright 2011 Deborah M. Carey