jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to Choose Colors to Flatter your Skin Tone

1. Research Analyst profile image83
    Research Analystposted 8 years ago

How to Choose Colors to Flatter your Skin Tone

2. Choke Frantic profile image82
    Choke Franticposted 8 years ago

Generally, if your tanned, green colours suit your skin well, and blue colours work best if your skin is pale. However, when choosing the right foundations etc, pinky tones work best on fair skin and those foundations that complimet tanned skin have yellow pigments in them. When choosing colours for eye and lip makeup, always remember to consider your eye and hair colour first.

3. Kay Campbell profile image54
    Kay Campbellposted 8 years ago

The best way to choose colors to flatter your skin tone is to first determine what your skin tone is.  Most women make the mistake that they are cool or fair skin toned.  Only about 15% are true cool toned faces. 
    If you are fair or pink in color do NOT match your foundation to pink or red.  Instead use something with a slight yellow undertone.
    This will counter act the pink give a more youthful glow and the appearance of healthy more youthful skin.
    If you have rosacea you want to counter that with a beige, neutral or yellow undertone. 
    For ebony skin a large percentage if women have what is called facial masking.  This is areas of darker pigmentation generally found on the forehead and jawline.  For this condition you will need to use two foundations to even out your skin tone.
    You will need to match your undertone exactly because they are so strong ranging from golden orange to true brown.  Always try to brighten not lighten.  Apply at least three stripes of different shades to your cheek and wait to see if the oils in your skin will change the color.  After a few minutes check to see which one matches the skin on your neck better.  Once you've made your match you are ready to apply your foundation.

4. TheFashionArtist profile image56
    TheFashionArtistposted 8 years ago

I am certified in a no fail color system,and most women make the mistake of choosing warm tones when they have cool skin. Warm tones have yellow undertones and can make someone with cool skin appear older and more drabby looking.When you have cool skin you should use make-up with pink under tones and wear brighter color clothing, you will see the dramatic difference it makes.When I do color analysis for my clients to determine if they have cool or warm skin , its really hands on and,I let them see for themselves the dramatic difference it makes when you respect your season.Maybe I will write a Hub on this issue one day soon.