jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Fashion question for guys...

1. cjcarter profile image76
    cjcarterposted 7 years ago

Fashion question for guys...

Bow ties. Yay or nay?

2. SimpleStyle profile image55
    SimpleStyleposted 7 years ago

Yay! As you can see, I am wearing one in my profile pic. Clip on bow ties are a big time no. Ones you actually have to tie are a major yes!

3. Sullen91 profile image78
    Sullen91posted 7 years ago

Nay. This is the new age, where bow ties aren't with the times.

4. akirlew profile image60
    akirlewposted 7 years ago

It depends on the occasion. I believe they still can have a place. But of course, my wife says I am not quite with the times when it comes to fashion :-)

5. hudlife profile image60
    hudlifeposted 7 years ago

Yay if you can pull it off. You have to have the confidence to wear one.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I think bowties are a must in black tie or white tie events. Nothing looks better with a tuxedo than a black bowtie. Most of the time, I think bowties look bad with a suit unless the wearer is trying to achieve a particular look. Bowties do not look bad in shirtsleeves if the wearer is seeking a daring, yet ironic geeky look. I see it in some settings and some young guys manage to pull it off.

I think one should always tie their bowtie and never wear a pre-tied or clip-on rig.

7. DonnaCosmato profile image95
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

To wear or not wear a bowtie...is a matter of personal preference and individuality, like so many other things in fashion. In a world of suits and ties, a man secure enough in his own self-image to sport a bowtie is sure to gain attention. Other men are secretly wishing they had his nerve, while women are admiring his rakish good looks and charm. As a former men's clothier, I found that my clients who loved their bow ties also tended to be incredibly successful and regarded as extremely bespoke in their appearance. One final tip...clip-on bowties are an extreme no-no!