jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think beauty is objective or subjective?

1. Maria-Arg profile image79
    Maria-Argposted 5 years ago

Do you think beauty is objective or subjective?

How do you measure beauty? Can it be measured? Do you judge beauty in a person and beauty in art differently? For example, Michelangelo's David is considered a masterpiece while your hand turkey you made as a child is endearing but not what would be considered a masterpiece. Do you place those same standards on people?

2. mariexotoni profile image94
    mariexotoniposted 5 years ago

Beauty is definitely objective. From experience, what I find beautiful changes over time. I mean- can you imagine what you thought was beautiful at 4, or 13 and say it's the say you define it the same? It's certainly not subjective.

But beauty has different meanings for me depending on the person, place, object, whatever.

For instance, I thought one of my "close" friends was beautiful. Then she hurt me pretty deeply, and now I find no beauty in her whatsoever.

3. GypsyFootedWoman profile image75
    GypsyFootedWomanposted 5 years ago

True there is a certain aesthetic that many people would objectively agree is pleasing to the eye. Scientists have come up with certain criteria and measurements that explain what the human eye finds attractive in general terms. But on an individual one on one basis, beauty is most definitely subjective.
    For instance, you may think someone is beautiful and then get to know them and find their personalities quite distasteful. Suddenly their appearance is greatly devalued in your calculations of attraction to them. In the reverse scenario someone you initially find only mildly pleasing to look at may cause your heart to do somersaults once you get to know them. When this happens you suddenly find yourself uncontrollably attracted to them.
    The short answer, true beauty is utterly Subjective!

1. Lexa21Savic profile image55
      Lexa21Savicposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree! nicely said!

4. Felicia Carrillo profile image60
    Felicia Carrilloposted 5 years ago

Beauty is in he eye of the beholder. Beauty is diffrent to eveyone. Society, unfortanatly, has made beauty a label.

5. TheLifeExperiment profile image57
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

Both. I think it is objective because there are certain things that define beauty (for example, faces), such as symmetrical features, clear skin, healthy hair, eyes that are a reasonable distance apart, lips of a certain size, etc. But beauty is also subjective because people have different opinions of what defines beauty. If hypothetically blue eyes are universally the most beautiful, someone who prefers green eyes would disagree and have a different standard.

6. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

Beauty is subjective. What a dolphin finds attractive is probably different from human tastes.