jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Are flip flops ok for an office that is "business casual"?

1. dappledesigns profile image89
    dappledesignsposted 5 years ago

Are flip flops ok for an office that is "business casual"?

2. cactusbythesea profile image88
    cactusbytheseaposted 5 years ago

I think flip-flops are rarely consider appropriate office attire unless you work at a beach or pool.

3. manicpanicplease profile image68
    manicpanicpleaseposted 5 years ago

In my opinion, open toe-ed shoes are not really appropriate for an office setting, even a casual one. The one exception would be maybe a pair of peep toe heels. A simple pair of flats, docks, or sperrys would be a better choice.

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

T-shirts, jeans, and flip-flops is casual. Business casual is a step up from that, so a dress shirt/polo with trousers/skirt and a comfortable shoe like a loafer. There might be specific cultures that are very casual and will have people wearing jeans, shorts, or flip-flops, but that wouldn't be the norm.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

in my opinion, flip flops are only appropriate for the beach and poolside. I hate seeing everyone flopping around in them all over the place. At work they are worse, you have to listen to that flip flop sound all day long.

6. profile image48
    lauraleelljposted 5 years ago

Flip-Flops are never office appropriate. The only way they could be is if they have a heel on them of at least 1 1/2 inches.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Certainly not on men. Women get away with a lot in the office when it comes to fashion because no one has yet defined what falls into the safe end of the gray area for them. There are so many syles of flip flops for women that some are not much different from certain other sandals or open-toed shoes. Work attire and its definitions are still defined around a male wardrobe. Women have to take each outfit on a case-by-case basis.