- Fashion and Beauty»
Plus Size Shopping in Kansas City
Calling All Plus-Size Fashionistas!
Sometimes, it seems hard to be a curvy girl in Kansas City. Though nearly a third of the population wears plus-size or big-and-tall clothing, it takes effort to find cute and flattering clothes for the plus-size fashionista. Never fear -- this thrifty, curvy Kansas Citian is here!
On this page, you'll find information on stores in KC that sell plus size clothes, as well as thrifty rehabs for second-hand steals.
Photo credit Dee
Lane Bryant: $20 - $210
Photo courtesy of Lane Bryant view book.
Ok, let's get the obvious choice out of the way first. Lane Bryant is a store for plus-sized women. They carry causal clothes, business attire, lingerie, sportswear, shoes and accessories. You'll also find semi-formal attire (like cocktail party dresses) seasonally. Lane Bryant has a reputation for catering to the older crowd, and younger women may find their clothes to be lacking spark.
In Kansas City, you can find five Lane Bryant stores and two outlets!
- Zona Rosa (8620 N Dixon, KCMO 64153)
- Ward (8600 Ward Pkwy, KCMO, 64114)
- Independence Mall (2070 Independence Center, Independence MO 64057)
- Summit Woods (1752 Chipman Rd, Lee's Summit MO 64081)
- The Legends (1813 Village West Pkwy, KCK, 66111) - outlet store
- Oak Park Mall (11639 95th St, Overland Park KS 66214)
- Great Mall of the Great Plains (20358 W 151st St, Olathe KS 66061) - outlet store
GREAT FOR: Bras. (Watch for their semi annual lingerie sales to get bras for $20 each.) Business clothing. Basics.
This book is for young women who are extra-curvy. Includes information on the beauty industry, counter-propaganda to unhealthy advertising ideals, and come backs for when your classmates call you fat.
Torrid: $16 - $100
Price Range: $16 - $100
Size Range: 12W to 28W
Torrid used to be known as the Hot Topic for plus-sized girls. They've become more mainstream over the years, but this is still the place to go if you're looking for an edgier plus size style. They carry denim, casual tops and sweaters, casual bottoms (mostly leggings and skirts), dresses, skirts, lingerie, shoes, and accessories. You won't find much work-appropriate attire here most days, but you will find edgy, retro, and fun casual wear.
- Independence Center at 2035 Independence Center, Independence, MO 64057
- Zona Rosa at 8630 N Dixon Ave, Kansas City, MO
- Oak Park Mall at 11461 W 95th St., Overland Park, Kansas
Fat Girl's Guide to Life
After spending more than $100,000 trying to make herself thin, the author wrote this empowering book about life as a chubby girl. With over two-thirds of American women wearing size 12 or larger, this book is a breath of fresh air!
Old Navy: $6 - $60
Price Range: $6 - $60
Size Range: 16W - 30W (straight sizes overlap, going from 0 - 20W)
I know, I know. I couldn't believe it either, when my friends told me how great Old Navy is for curvy girls. But it's true - they carry up to size 30!
You'll find casual clothes and business casual wear here, as well as shoes and some accessories.
Eight locations in KC!
- Ward (8600 Ward Pkwy, KCMO 64114)
- Zona Rosa (8677 Nw Prairieview Rd, KCMO 64153)
- Independence Center (18813 E. 39th Street, Independence MO 64057)
- Summit Center (1656 Nw Chipman Rd, Lees Summit MO 64081)
- Shawnee Mission (15310 Shawnee Mission Pkwy, Shawnee KS 66217)
- The Legends (1815 Village West Pkwy, Kansas City KS 66111)
- Metcalf (12065 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park KS 66210)
- Olathe (15290 W 119th St, Olathe KS 66062)
Fat Chicks Rule
A fat acceptance advocate wrote this witty guide on shopping for curves, retorts to fat-phobic comments, and feeling sexy in your skin.
Forever 21 Plus: $4 - $49
Price Range: $4 - $49
Size Range: 12 - 20 (Forever 21 straight sizes are 2-10) Some items are marked as high as "3X" but are really sized to fit 18/20.
Forever 21 used to be a domain for ultra-skinny girl's club clothes. Not anymore!
There are only three KC area locations - in Oak Park Mall in Overland Park, KS, Zona Rosa in Kansas City North, and on the Country Club Plaza in KCMO - and the selection is limited. Be forewarned: F21 clothes are notoriously worn out quickly, so don't spend too much on a trendy item.
Great for: cheap skinny jeans, fatkinis, tank tops, hopping on the trend wagon.
Ditto KC: $8+
Price Range: $8+
Size Range: 0-28W
Ditto Kansas City is a resale/secondhand shop, carrying namebrand women's sizes from 0 to 28W, as well as shoes, bags, and accessories. If you're looking for brands like Lane Bryant and Torrid without the shopping mall price (and maybe from last year's collection), try Ditto.
Locations: KC North (Barry Rd), Lenexa, Lawrence, Overland Park
TIP: Follow Ditto on Facebook for exclusive deals and discounts.