- Internet & the Web
10 Reasons Why People Hate Facebook
Why People Don't Like Facebook
More and more people are 'unliking' facebook every day. Here are 10 reasons why so many people hate Facebook.
- Ads - everybody hates Facebook ads. I mean, Google ads can get a bit annoying at times, but they're usually either (a) relevant to something you are searching for, or (b) related to the content of the web page you are viewing. With Facebook, you just get some spooky ads that have just peered into your private life and then served it back up to you on a platter. If you're a 30 year old mother who likes chocolate you'll get an ad like 'delicious chocolate, just perfect for a young, hard working mum'. I mean, is anything private anymore?
- Sponsored stories - if Facebook ads weren't bad enough, you now get fake stories appearing in your news stream 'Sheila loves how Daz gets her whites shining bright' or some rubbish like that. Companies pay to 'sponsor' things that your friends say to turn them into adverts that clutter up your stream. Joy!
- Game invites appearing in your stream. Unless you are a digital hermit with no friends, you undoubtedly regularly see game requests in your stream - 'Barbara would like you to be her friend in Farmville', or shout at's 'Bill has just harvested 50 sacks of potatoes'. Why do you care?
- It's very difficult to un-sign up to Apps or Games once you've clicked accept. In fact, it's hard for you to undo everything.
- Facebook is just so darn cluttered. It many once have prized itself on its simplicity, but now there are so many options, add ons, games, apps, menus and settings that nobody understands half of them. People just stumble through it all.
- It is very difficult to share anything with just a few select friends, or a certain group of friends. It's not impossible (though it was until relatively recently), but it's buried in a sub-menu somewhere, and you have to find it every time, it defaults back to sharing with everyone next time.
- Facebook picks and chooses what it shows you. Think you are getting to see everything that your friends post? Wrong! Just get one of your friends to post something about Google Plus, an invite perhaps, then try to find it in your stream. Good luck! It's not just anything related to its biggest rival, lots of posts don't make it in your stream for various arbitrary reasons.
- You can't hide on Facebook, or quietly ignore people. You get friends from old school crushes, the person you met in the club last night, even your employer. You either have to accept them, in which case they'll have complete access to your Facebook profile, your friends, photos etc. Or you ignore them or decline them, and they'll know you've just stuck the finger up at them. Thanks Facebook.
- Facebook Timeline. It's a glorified scrapbook of your life. It's not optional, by now everyone will have been moved over to Timeline. Nobody wants it, now people viewing your profile can see your entire history on Facebook, what you did five years ago and so on. All to sell you more pathetic adverts.
Have I missed anything?
Have I missed anything? Let me know what annoys you most about Facebook.