Apple iPhone Power Saving Tips - Make your iphone battery LAST!!!
Ok, so I dont mean to provide a whole book on this subject, but it is a question that I get a LOT!!! So here goes!
Below are a WHOLE ton of different rhings that you cna do to improve the battery life on your iphone. You do not need to do all of them and some of them may or may not make sense for how you use your iphone. That being said, do as many of thema s you can and you should see a change for the better with your iphone.
- Turn off location services: "Location services" basically means letting applications on the phone transmit your location. Unless you are using GPS, some kind of FIND MY PHONE APP or a location based shopping app, just turn it off! Go to Settings > General > Location Services and turn it off!!
- Request data less frequently: Some apps can be set to get new data at different intervals, the more often the device is fetching data the more power it uses. You can make your device get new data manually by going to the Home screen choosing Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. In the same location you can also set hourly etc.
- GO 2G!: If you need to save some battery and don't need the faster data or are in an area with limited 3G coverage, then going to 2G can REALLY save some battery life with limited impact on voice calls and low data using apps like e-mail and texting. Go to Settings > General > Network and set Enable 3G to Off.
- Get rid of push mail: Some e-mail programs like Yahoo!, MSN, MobileMe, or Microsoft Exchange get rid of the PUSH e-mail (where the program pushes it to your phone) unless you need to have your e-mail as soon as possible after it is sent... Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Now e-mail will just show up based on your settings from the "Get data less frequently" step above and what you chose.
- Get rid of extra e-mail accounts: If you have tons of e-mail accounts on your device that you really don't need or care that much about (or can wait to check till you are home) get rid of them as less accounts syncing means better battery life! Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap the email account you want, and tap Delete Account.
- Wi-Fi: If you don't use WIFI much, turn it off! Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set Wi-Fi to Off. If you do a TON of web browsing and you have access to WIFI, try to use that instead of the cellular connection and it can increase speed and battery life as the phone does not need to work as hard!
- Turn off Bluetooth: If you don't need it turn it off (easy to turn on and off if for example you only need it in your car but not during the day) Settings > General > Bluetooth and set Bluetooth to Off.
- Use AIRPLANE mode even when on the ground!: Finding and keeping a cellular connection drains a ton of battery, if you dont need your phone for a while (in a meeting etc) put it in airplane mode and you will get MUCH better battery life! 30 minutes here and there can really extend the battery life!
- Turn down screen brightness: Go to Settings > Brightness and use the slider to change the brighness
There is something else that you can do as well and that is to use the USB cable or any other charger you can get ahold of to charge the iphone whenever you can during the day. ALSO, there are some great products out there that allow for you to charge the iphone on the go. So another thought is to take a look at the Amazon links for USB cables and iphone charging packs! Cheap and great in a pinch!!