Best Android Chat Apps
Best Chat Apps for Android
There are so many chat applications for android phones in the market with different features and continuously developing ways of communication.
I will talk about some of the best free and popular chat apps for android, some are just for chatting on android phones and others are just the very famous IM software we use such as Skype, MSN, Yahoo, etc.
This is my favorite and a very popular app for android phones. WhatsApp is for text chatting with others who have the app on their phone. The good thing about it is that it enables Iphone, Blackberry, Android and Nokia users to chat with one another! There are 4 versions of the app for the 4 brands I mentioned. You can find yours at the Android Market here. This app is a must have for people who use text messaging a lot. Unfortunately, there is no voice or video chatting available right now.
- It is absolutely free, no fees at all, it uses the same internet connect you use for browsing, email, etc on your phone, whether it is 3G or wireless.
- Receive messages even if you are online.
- Send photos, videos and audio to your friends.
- Group chatting is available.
- Share your location, contacts, etc.
- It shows when your friend is typing a message.
- Shows the last time they were online.
- You don't have to log in or out, WhatsApp is always running.
- It adds contacts from your address book, no need to add people individually.
- No ads, no annoying pop ups.
- Chat history.
- Customizable notification sounds, name, status, etc.
- You can clear chat logs, block contacts and change font size.
- Chat with WhatsApp users on Android, Iphone, Blavkberry and Nokia.
Viber has a similar concept but works in a different way. First advantage is that it allows voice chatting "calling a contact" in addition to text messaging. The app is available for both Android and Iphone enabling them to chat together. Viber will integrate itself into your phonebook and you can make a Viber call (voice chatting) from your phonebook or a regular call, this is very helpful instead of international calls, you can ask your friends to install Viber on their phones.
- Totally free, no ads, no extra charges.
- Always running, no need to log in or open the app.
- No need to add friends.
- Text and voice chatting (VoIP).
- Available for Iphone and Android.
I think Viber is a great app and many people like the integration into your phone contacts list (an icon will appear next contacts names' who have Viber) but I didn't like it myself. i'm using WhatsApp more because I usually just need text messaging and I use Skype for video chatting with my friends and family.
The good thing about all the apps in this hub is that they are all free, you can download and try them and choose your favorite of the list.
Yes, our beloved Skype can run perfectly on the new Android phones. Available from the Market , check to see if your device is in the list of phones that can make video calls (most of Android 2.2 and up).
Totally free, all you need is an internet connection (3G or WiFi) and you can use Skype as usual for IM (texting), voice and video calling, cheap SMS and calls to mobile or landlines. Video calling works great on the new Gingerbread 2.3 phones and on many older phones even those with no front camera.
I tried it on my HTC Desire S and it is working like charm, video calling is good and sound quality is great.
Here is one of the most popular chat apps for android phones. You will need to set up an account first in a few easy steps. Fring aggregates your friends from different places (facebook, twitter, MSN, Yahoo, etc) and enables you to chat, voice and video chat with them.
- Free, no extra charges.
- Free texting, voice and video chatting. Works on 3G, 4G or WiFi.
- Group chatting up to 4 people.
- High quality video calling using DVQ technology which adjusts your call quality according to your connection speed.
Download Fring from the android market.
Another popular chat app for android. Nimbuzz is an "all-in-one" app that allows you to use Yahoo, MSN, facebook, AIM, etc from one place. Similar to Viber, it allows you to send text messages or place voice and video calls to your Nimbuzz friends.
- Integrated into your phonebook.
- High quality video calls to your friends.
- Push notifications : no need to open the app.
- Connect with your friends on: (Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, AIM, ICQ, GoogleTalk, Facebook, MySpace and Hyves) all collected in one place.
- Works on so many phones.
Which app do you like and use most? Share your experience with us and feel free to suggest more apps in the comments section below.