C# program that interfaces with MS Excel: READ data from an individual Excel cell
1. Open a new Visual C# .NET windows application. Name the project ReadExcel.
2. In Solution Explorer, right-click the References node and select Add Reference. On the COM tab, select “Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library”, and then click OK.
3. Design a form. Add two Buttons and four Textboxes.
4. Set Name property of Button to “btnOpenExcel” and text property to “Open Excel File”.
5. Set Name property of Button to “btnReadExcel” and text property to “Read Excel”.
6. Set Name property of Button to “txtColumn” and text property to “A”.
7. Set Name property of Button to “txtRow” and text property to “2”.
8. Set Name property of Button to “txtSheet” and text property to “1”.
9. Set Name property of Button to “txtValue” and text property to “1200”.
10. From Toolbox expand Dialogs group double click on the “OpenFileDialog”.
11. In the code behind file import the library Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library using: using Excel;
12. Before the Form constructor add the following code.
//Add a reference to excel.application
private Excel.Application exc;
//Add a reference to workbooks
private Workbooks workbooks;
13. Add class disposed event handler “Form1_Disposed”. Inside the form disposed event handler add the following code.
if (exc != null)
exc = null;
14. Double click on the Button “btnOpenExcel” and pest the following code into the “btnOpenExcel_Click” event.
//Creating new excel.application
exc = new Excel.Application();
//Prepare open file dialog to only search for excel files
this.openFileDialog1.FileName = "*.xls";
if (this.openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)
//To get the workbooks collection
Workbooks workbooks = exc.Workbooks;
// Here is the call to Open a Workbook in Excel
// It uses most of the default values
workbooks.Open(openFileDialog1.FileName, 0, true, 5,
"", "", true, Excel.XlPlatform.xlWindows, "\t", false, false, 0,
true, 0, 0);
// Get opened excel file name
label2.Text = openFileDialog1.FileName;
//To make application visible
exc.Visible = true;
catch (Exception ex)
exc = null;
15. Double click on the Button “btnReadExcel” and pest the following code into the “btnReadExcel_Click” event.
if (exc != null)
//To get the workbook
_Workbook workbook = workbooks.get_Item(1);
//To get the worksheets collection
Sheets sheets = workbook.Worksheets;
_Worksheet worksheet =
//To get the value for cell
Range range1 = worksheet.get_Range(txtColumn.Text + txtRow.Text, txtColumn.Text + txtRow.Text);
txtValue.Text = range1.Text.ToString();
Press F5 to build and run the project.
16. Click on the Button “Open Excel File” and select an excel file using “OpenFileDialog” window and Click on the Button “Open”. Your selected Excel file will be open.
17. Change the Column, Row and Sheet of TextBox(es) and Click on the Button “btnReadExcel”. In the textbox “txtValue” you will see new value added from your Excel file defined by the Form Textbox(es) (Column, Row, Sheet).