Cellular Phone Radiation
What was it like befor cellular phones?
Remember what life was like before cell phones? Do you think you could ever go back to the days before everyone had a cell phone? Cell phones are insanely popular today, everyone from adults to children and even our grandparents have them, as everyone ought to have one. They are wonderful forms of communication especially in emergency situations. Cell phones have probably saved numerous lives, but as many lives as they have saved, how many could they be taking?
New Studies on cellular phone radiation
There has been a lot of controversy over the safety of cell phones. Recent research has been indicating an increase in brain tumors and cancer found in the glands that are closest to the cheek. The Hebrew University in Jerusalem at the Hadassah School of Dental Medicine has conducted research led by Rakefet Czerninski, Avi Zini and Harold Sgan-Cohen and have reported that there has been a drastic increase in parotid gland tumors over the last 30 years, which its steepest increase starting right after 2001, source: www.microwavenews.com
Flaws with cellular phone radiation from interphone researchers
Some of the flaws found in the previous Interphone study stated in Dr. Mercola’s post New Evidence Identifies Strong Cell Phone Cancer Link, the interphone researchers state that heavy users of cell phone use have a doubled risk of glioma, which is a life threatening brain tumor, after 10 years of cell phone use, compared to users that are considered heavy users of cell phones for 1- 1.9 years. However their definition of heavy cell phone users is anyone who uses their cell phone for about 2 to 2.5 hours a month. This would mean that if you use your cell phone more than two hours a month you could be potentially doubling your risk of a fatal brain tumor. The study fails to mention anything about the millions of cell phone users who exceed the amount they define as heavy cell phone use.
Cellular Phone Radiation Compared to Tobacco Crisis
Could cell phone radiation be the next tobacco crisis?
The cell phone industry is a multibillion dollar industry with a lot of influence in Washington having many investments made in telecommunications. Tobacco was ignored for years until the evidence was so overwhelming. If someone was to smoke a cigarette for the first time, they most likely would not show any signs or evidence of lung or mouth cancer linked to smoking that cigarette, just like It could take anywhere from 10-30 years for brain tumors to develop from cell phone exposure. Devra Davis, PhD states in her book Disconnect that research shows radiation from cell phones to be linked to DNA damage, memory loss, Alzheimer’s, cancer, reduced sperm count, and a breakdown of your brains defense.
Many either have never heard of these alarming statements or choose to ignore them because it has not been made national news, and cell phone use has become such a standard way of living. I am of the many that even got rid of their land line, and use the cell phone as the primary phone. My phone is never turned off and I keep it charged on my night stand beside my bed, just in case I am to receive an emergency phone call throughout the night. I am by no means going to get rid my cell phone but will be incorporating some changes to my cell phone habits.
Here are some ways we can protect ourselves from over cellular phone radiation.
· Avoid pressing the phone up against your ear and face. Even cell phone companies advocate this. Apple states that you should keep a distance of at least 5/8 of an inch, and BlackBerry recommends that you keep a distance of 1 inch from phone to face.
· Use speaker phone as often as possible, or a headset in which the wire is shielded.
· Children should not use cell phones or at least recommended to have limited use. They are more susceptible to the effects of radiation because of having a thinner skull bone.
· If you are like me and have removed your land line and use your cell phone as your primary phone you may want to reconsider getting that land line back, or taking advantage of using speaker phone with Skype and Google is offering free phone calls through g-mail until 2012. These are free phones services through your internet connection.
· Reduce use of other wireless devices as well, even portable home phones such has some of the older phones that operate at 900 MHs can be bad.
· Shut your cell phone off more frequently when not in use. Like I mentioned earlier that my phone is never off. The phone still emits radiation intermittently. You could also put your phone on airplane mode, which you would not be able to receive calls or text, but other applications on your phone could still be used.
· Avoid carrying your phone in a shirt or paint pocket and on belt for long periods of time. The further you can keep your phone away from your body the less you are exposed. A carrying bag or left somewhere in the office or vehicle where you can still hear your ringtone or periodically check for new messages is better.
My thoughts on cellular phone radiation
Though some of these may sound extreme I have to admit that this does make sense, and I have had my suspicion over the years of cellular phone radiation exposure and microwaves, which is a whole other topic, for some time now. I have personally been convicted of my cell phone habits and am going to start changing the way I use my phone. I’d rather not wait until it is too late. I still feel that cell phones are great to have and will not be getting rid of mine, but will be positioning myself to be not so dependent on it, and to use my cell phone more safely. I do hope that through modern technology that these devices could be made so that they are safe to use, because they truly are a very convenient little thing to have. I am curious to know your thoughts are on this topic and if you will be making any adjustment to your cell phone use as well.
How exposed are you to cellular phone radiation
view quiz statistics