Eye-Fi Wireless Memory Card for Photos and Videos
I’m sure that many of you have digital cameras with a memory card, and every once in a while, you have to download the video footage or still pics to your computer for printing, sharing, and whatnot.
Usually, you have to attach a USB to mini USB cable in order to complete this process, or insert the card into a card reader. However, what if you could do this wirelessly? This is exactly what Eye-Fi is designed to do.
When I first heard of Eye-Fi, I thought it was one of those things that was too good to be true. However, I had a chance to try it out, and I have to say one thing: it works. All you have to do is set up an account, link the card with the wireless network, and your pictures magically appear on your account. I say magic because I just don’t see how a tiny card can possibly transmit a wireless signal.
Once you have the wireless account set up, you can program where exactly the pictures will go. All you need to do is set up a special file for them, or even save them automatically online at photo-sharing sites.
Not only that, you can automatically rename photos with a timestamp, so you will have instant organization of photos. You can also set up a process of picking what photos to transfer with the selective Transfer feature.
The Eye-Fi comes in many forms:
- Eye-Fi Home: A basic Eye-Fi that allows downloads of photos. It has 2 GB worth of memory and costs about $49.99.
- Eye-Fi Geo: An Eye-Fi card that can do wireless uploads of photos and includes Geotagging for about $59.99. Includes 2GB worth of memory.
- Eye-Fi Share: Does wireless JPEG photo uploads to the computer and to the Web. Includes 2GB of memory for about $59.99
- Eye-Fi Home Video: Does wireless JPEG photo and video uploads to a computer. Includes 4GB of memory for about $69.9
- Eye-Fi Share Video: An Eye-Fi card that allows for video uploads to popular websites, as well as photos. It has 4 GB worth of memory for about $79.99.
- Eye-Fi Explore Video: Allows for both uploading photos and videos, and you can use several thousand hotspots. It also includes a geotagging feature, 4 GB worth of memory, all for about $99.99.
- Eye-Fi Pro: Combines the outstanding features of all the other Eye-Fi cards, and includes wireless RAW uploads of photos and videos to any folder on a computer. This one is more expensive at $149.99.
All those Eye-Fi wireless memory cards are available on the Eye-Fi website, and the iPhone app is for free. Personally, I believe this is the way of the future, and how it is going to be.
- Hands on Review of the Eye-Fi Explore Video Coolest Gadgets
Hands on Review of the Eye-Fi Explore Video on Coolest Gadgets