- Computers & Software
How To Completely Remove Babylon From Your Computer
Babylon: "The most downloaded translation software in the world"
I had to laugh when I read that on their website - taking credit for spamming peoples computers, entering without permission. Of course it would be the most downloaded software IN THE WORLD if it comes along with other downloads without us even knowing about it.
"Over 100 million users and counting"
Well, not for long if they keep up with this. What they are doing is completely unacceptable. I'm sure that 90% of their "users" don't even know what Babylon is. And the other 10% just don't know how to get rid of it.
Taking these steps below will surely relieve you of your frustration.
- REMOVE THE PROGRAM
- Click "Start"
- "Control Panel"
- "Add or Remove Programs"
- Search for Babylon and select "Remove Program".
By doing this Babylon will be uninstalled, although this will not solve the problem as yet. Babylon will still be popping up when opening your browser. Next step...
2. MAKE SURE GOOGLE IS SET AS YOUR HOME PAGE
- Open Mozilla Firefox
- Select "Tools" in the upper left corner
- Select "Options"
- If your home page is set to be anything else but Google, insert "http://www.google.co.za/ " in the given field.
- Click "Ok"
3. DELETE THE BABYLON ADD-ON
- Select "Tools" again.
- Selecting "Add-ons" will take you to a new window. Once there, click on "Extensions"
- If you see anything with the name Babylon - remove it (there will be an option to do so)
At this point in time Google will be your home page, but when opening up another tab Bybylon still appears. So the next step will be the last step to completely get rid of it.
4. DELETE BABYLON FILES FROM WHERE IT'S HIDING
- Open Mozille Firefox again.
- In the search bar type in "about:config". The following message will appear:
No need to worry about it, though. I will not let you configure anything which might result in your warranty being void.
- Click on "I'll be careful, I promise!"
- You will now see a list of preference names. Reset everything containing the name Babylon by right clicking on the files and selecting "Reset"
Close your browser. When opening it again, everything should be working exactly as you want it to.
1. REMOVE THE PROGRAM
- Revert to "REMOVE THE PROGRAM" under Mozilla Firefox
2. MAKE SURE GOOGLE IS SET AS YOUR STARTUP PAGE
- Open Google Chrome
- Select the wrench icon in the top right corner
- Click on "Settings"
- Under the On Startup section select "Set Pages"
- There should be two listed pages namely, Google and Babylon.com. Remove Babylon by clicking on the "x"
- Select "Ok"
3. MAKE GOOGLE YOUR DEFAULT SEARCH ENGINE
- Select the wrench icon again
- Select "Settings"
- Under the Search section click on "Manage Search Engines"
- Hover your mouse pointer over Google. An option "make default" will appear. Click on it.
- Click "OK"
4. DELETE THE BABYLON ADD-ON
- Select the wrench icon
- Select "Tools"
- If you see Babylon listed there, click "Uninstall"
5. REMOVE BABYLON FROM YOUR REGISTRY
Please be careful while doing this, make sure to only delete Babylon.
- Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard, and then press R. A run window will appear
- Type REGEDIT in the given field, and click "OK"
- Now click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
- Click on "SOFTWARE"
- Look for Babylon in the list, and click on it once
- Click on "Edit"
- Select "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and follow the same steps as above
- Restart your computer
Unfortunately Google has no about:config page at the moment, but doing the above should solve the problem as soon as you have restarted your computer (it worked for me).
I'm confident that Babylon will now be removed for good.