How To Speed Up Windows Vista
1. Get more RAM
It's the easiest way to boost any system performance.
2. Use ReadyBoost
Windows ReadyBoost uses flash memory, USB 2.0 drive, SD card, CompactFlash or any kind of portable massive flash storage as a drive for disk cache. Windows Vista will use it as additional memory which is way faster than standard hard drives.It's very convinient if your PC has limited memory upgrade capabilities.
You can read more about it here.
3. Disable features you don't need
Tablet Pc features and similar can be turned off to increase performance. You can change those settings in Control Panel's Uninstall of change a program window.
4. Remove unnecesarry visual effects
In Start menu, right click Computer, go to Properties, switch to Advanced tab, choose Performance, and set the Adjust for best performance setting.
5. Disable services
In Start menu, type services.msc and a window should pop.
You can disable loading of specific service here, but be sure to check first which are safe and which are not!
In most cases, the following services can be safely disabled:
- Remote Registry- IKE and AuthIP IP Keying Modules - Computer Browser - Tablet PC Input Service- Distributed Link Tracking Client - Windows Error Reporting - Offline Files
6. Don't use Aero theme
Right click on your Desktop, choose Personalise, followed by Windows color and appearance. Click on the Open classic appearance properties and choose a different theme. Windows Standard or Classic are decent choices; It may not look nice like Aero, but works faster.
7. Other tips
- Keep your PC clean of any viruses or spyware. Personally, I like AVG for antivirus and Spybot. Both are free.
- Run Disk Defragmenter every once in awhile.
- Get some registry cleaner software and make sure to run it every once in awhile. Just google it, there's plenty of free ones which work just as good.
- Run Windows' build in Scandisk from time to time and check your hard drives for errors.
There's a bunch of great books about Windows Vista on Amazon which you can get really cheap. Why not check it out.
Get Windows Today
- ReviewBash - popular product reviews and cheap deals
Find cheap deals, low prices and read reviews of popular products