- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software
How to Analyze and Increase Mac performance?
After spending more than $1500 for a MAC machine, you would not really hope to see that spinning beach ball on your system’s screen. But, your disappointment will reach to the top-level when you realize that your system stops responding to your commands. The joy of working on your MAC machine gradually starts dropping. This is the moment when your MAC machine seeks your attention. The reason behind the slow performance of your MAC machine could be anything, such as disk space, hardware, older version OS, unnecessary applications, etc. First we need to analyze the hurdles making your system unresponsive.
To overcome this frustration of your lagging system, I have come-up with some extensive troubleshooting steps that can be performed manually on your computer. Before engaging in analyzing and maintaining the system, I would recommend you to take complete backup of data stored on your computer. In order to analyze and enhance the system’s performance, follow the below mentioned tasks:
- Upgrade your OS: MAC OS X is designed to satisfy the needs of all users, either developers, gamers, home users, etc. Its user interface allows you to do anything you want. Moving onwards, the first thing you need to check is the OS version. Check the MAC OS X version on your system by clicking on the Apple icon sitting on the top left corner of your screen and then click on “About This MAC”; and then compare it with the newly launched in the market. Always make sure that you have the latest OS X installed on your computer.
The latest version of OS X comes along with improved security, much faster and responsive built-in apps, new-look and off-course multiple additional features. It gradually enhances the way it responds to your commands.
- Manage Start-up Applications: The startup applications straightaway affect the speed of your MAC machine. Just imagine a scenario where you are waiting for your MAC machine to boot and it is slowly loading Safari, Chrome, Dropbox, Skype and several other applications. The increasing number of start-up applications gradually increases the boot time of your MAC machine, which eventually slow down your entire system’s responsiveness.
To take control of these start-up applications, go to System Preferences> Users & Groups> Select your Username> and then Login Items. From the displayed list, you can disable the active start-up applications.
- Free-up Disk Space: Low disk space plays a vital role in the performance of your MAC machine. Although, it doesn’t contribute in an extensive manner, but it can cause some peculiar effects on your commands. If the available RAM memory is not enough for any application, it starts using the hard drive as a “Scratch Drive” that eventually made it out-of-memory. So, while installing any new application, you may experience “Out of Memory” error in your system.
Besides applications, other disturbing elements are caches, logs, plugins, hidden trashes, large files, junk files, temporary files, language packs, etc. However, searching all these files and folders will definitely take so long. The best way to analyze disk space is the Disk Analyzer Pro.It performs a thorough scan of your MAC machine and identifies largest and oldest files or folders, demonstrates Apps summary and gives you an overview of the utilization of the disk space in terms of file count, file size and file types.
- Upgrade your Hardware: Remember to upgrade the hardware of your computer. The pre-installed or post-installed programs or applications keeps on updating each passing day, but the system’s hardware always remains same. To make the most out of your system, you should upgrade the hardware of your MAC machine periodically.
- Update Software and Applications: You must be having several apps and software installed on your MAC machine. Some of them come pre-installed, while a few are downloaded from the MAC App Store and others might get downloaded from their respective websites. Whether they are pre-installed or downloaded from the App Store, all the apps and software need regular updates.
While upgrading to the latest version of OS X, you should also update the installed apps and software in order to boost the speed of your MAC machine.
- Turn-off Unnecessary OS X Features: Every upgrade to the latest OS X; comes with additional features. If you have upgraded to the latest OS on the same hardware, there might be some features that you won’t be able to use. You can simply turn-off the unnecessary OS X features from the System Preferences.
By following the above mentioned steps of analyzing and optimizing, you can easily boost-up and Manage Disk Space performance of your MAC machine. However, by choosing Disk Analyzer Pro, you’re offered with several advanced features that gives you a detailed overview of disk space utilization.