How to Block an Email Address on Yahoo! Mail
If You're anything like me, than you have 6 different email addresses. If your not like me, then I'm still willing to bet that you have at least two email accounts.
It's recently been reported that on average, a worker will spend 25 - 30 percent of their workday reading emails. Think about that. And exactly how much of that email does one REALLY need to read? Spam isn't just a nuisance, its taking away time from our daily lives. And guess what? Life is Short.
If you've read some of my hubs you'll notice that I always try to include a shortcut or two. I even have a hub on Keyboard Shortcuts. It all adds up, a few seconds here, a few minutes there....spam is one of the worst time wasting offenders of all.
One other point.....
Have you ever waited a few days, then sifted through a pop account like Yahoo! or gmail, only to find an email that could have been good, had you read it on time? (HATE THAT).
The good news is that most of these POP email providers allow you to filter and even block addresses. Yahoo! makes it especially easy to handle these tasks.
In this article I'll show you how to filter addresses in Yahoo! (to the trash or a folder), and then I'll show you within Yahoo! how to block an email address permanently. Grab that energy drink and let's get to it!
Filtering Emails to a Folder or Trash
- Right click the message in you inbox and select "Filter Emails Like These"
- In The "Add Filter" Window, select "Trash" from the Drop Down at the Bottom OR
- In The "Add Filter" Window, select "New Folder", and name it accordingly in the box to the right
Quickly Sort Emails already in your Inbox
4. Once you hit "Save", You'll see a message that says "Filter Applied Successfully", BUT..
5. Once the filter has been applied all future emails will be filtered, you'll still have to take care of the messages already delivered in the inbox ..... Here's how:
TIP - To quickly sort your emails , click the "FROM" button at the top, THEN click the first message you wish to filter. Then press down the "SHIFT" key, and click the last of that group.
(In my example I filtered "MakeUseOf" to a folder named creatively as "MakeUseOf". I don't want to delete these, but just tuck them away.
Then by clicking the folder icon up top, select your folder (left click) and done! You can get through a ton of emails FAST this way!
Block an Email Address on Yahoo!
To Block an address altogether is a bit trickier, but permanent and sometimes necessary. Heres how:
- Right Click the email you wish to block and select "View Full Header", to make sure you have the correct Sender's email address.
- Highlight the address where you see "Return Path" (between and without the "<" and ">" )and Right click and select "Copy".
- Go to the options menu up top (next to "sign out").
- Select "Mail Options"
- Select "Blocked Addresses" on the left
- Paste (Right click and "Paste") into the blank bar and hit the "+" sign
- That's it, your done! (but you'll still need to delete the messages in your inbox)
TIP -- sometimes the address is obvious, and you don't need to view the header at all, but alot of times, spammers will disguise themselves, and its prudent to simply check the header anyway.
- All screenshots, and header pic taken by Jeff Boettner (howlermunkey)
- All blocked emails donated by generous spammers (much thanks)
- A special thanks to the inventors of caffeine, for which I could not have made this hub without....