How to Root the HTC One (M8): A Step-by-Step Guide to “Jailbreaking" Your Phone
The highly anticipated HTC One (M8) was just released, but within no time developers found a way to root, or jailbreak, it. Amazing, right? Read on to find out how to root your phone and modify the operating system.
8 Reasons Why You Should Root Your Phone
Granted, rooting a phone voids your warranty and could potentially damage your phone. But it's still worth the risk because of all the benefits you get.
- Flexibility. Rooting your phone allows you to unlock hidden features and install software that the manufacturer would otherwise not permit.
- Boost performance and speed. You can use apps like SetCPU to Overclock (or Underclock) your device - meaning that your computer will operate faster (or slower) than the set-point specified by the manufacturer.
- You get the latest OS updates. Android's developers are often able to release new operating systems months before the carriers get around to it.
- Get rid of those ugly software skins. The skins that companies use to brand their devices are often just ugly and are a big reason why it takes so long to update the OS.
- Get rid of unwanted apps. Some apps are built into the OS and while you can disable them, you can't delete them, meaning they still take up valuable hard drive space. Rooting your phone will allow you to permanently delete those unwanted apps from your phone.
- Lots of customization. While there's a lot you can change within the factory settings, rooting your phone will allow you to download custom ROMs that don't look anything like Android.
- Lots of fun features. Rooting your phone allows an almost infinite number of features to be added to your phone, such as the ability to connect a PlayStation controller for better gameplay, or an option to make rules about who can call you when. The possibilities are limitless.
- Free Wi-Fi hotspot. Avoid the $10/month that most carriers charge to let your phone serve as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Just download Wireless Tether from Google Play to create your own encrypted Wi-Fi network.
Need any more convincing? Read on for the one-click root method that will let you truly own your phone.
What You Need to Root Your HTC One (M8)
- HTC one M8 Mobile phone
- WeakSauce app
- SuperSU app.
Step 1: Download WeakSauce
Download the WeakSauce app here by clicking on the link circled in the picture below.
Step 2: Install WeakSauce
Next, open the app, which will take you to the following screen. Click "Yes."
Step 3: Install SuperSu App
Once you've installed WeakSauce, then download SuperSu from Google Play and install it on your phone.
SuperSu makes it easier to manage your rooted phone. Anytime an app wants to access your phone's OS, a notification will pop up asking for permission, which can be kind of annoying. You don't want to grant permission to everything, though, because that will make your phone susceptible to hackers and viruses. SuperSu keeps track of the apps you've given permission to so you don't have to keep giving it over and over again. SuperSu makes your rooted phone both easier to use and more secure.
Once SuperSu is installed, reboot your phone and you're done. Your phone is now successfully rooted!
Video tutorial to Root HTC one M8
How to Unroot the HTC One (M8)
There is an equally easy un-rooting procedure also for the HTC One (M8). Simply follow the steps below:
- Uninstall the WeakSauce app,
- Uninstall the SuperSu app.
- Do an ADB reoot for your device.
That's it. Your phone has now been successfully unrooted.
Rooting your device does come with its share of risks and I am not responsible for any damage done to the device. By reading this page you agree to take responsibility for any resulting damage.