- Internet & the Web
How to Secure a wireless LAN?
Wireless LAN is a wireless local area network. By using wireless LAN, certain number of computers can be connected and communicated easily through wireless. Wireless LAN use spread-spectrum or OFDM modulation technology. As there is no physical medium all the data passed through wireless medium. So, data security or LAN security is an important thing. A wireless LAN can be secured by the following steps:
- Enabling security features: It needs to enable security features such as wired equivalent privacy (WEP) standard.
- Avoid using default or obvious passwords or keys: It is best not to use any default passwords or keys.
- MAC address registration: It is good to register the unique MAC addresses of the LAN cards that access the network.
- Using firewalls: If firewalls are used then the network becomes much secured.
- Network monitoring: It’s a best practice to monitor the network time to time basics.
- Physical security monitoring: Is there anyone sitting in the parking lot trying to listen in on the network?
- Use secure socket layer encryption: If all the applications are web based then it’s good to use it.
- Using WVPN: Using a wireless virtual private network or other tunneling protocol is very helpful for securing wireless LAN.
By following the above mentioned steps you can secure a wireless LAN.
© Written by rancidTaste
If you are enjoyed this post, please consider to give a thumbs up and leave a comment. You may Subscribe to rancidTaste's RSS feed to get new pages which will be delivered to your feed reader. You can also read more hubs by rancidTaste.
JOIN HUBPAGES & EARN MONEY