- Internet & the Web
How to get rid of Yahoo toolbar in Mozilla Firefox
A few days ago I have installed Yahoo toolbar for Mozilla Firefox. Didn't like it, so I decided to let it go. But, Yahoo toolbar seemed to like my computer and don't want to go away. I tried a few things to get rid of it, but none worked for me.
Searching through my hard disk, I found a folder named program Files->Yahoo. I closed Firefox, deleted all files in Program Files->Yahoo and start Firefox again. The toolbar was there! Looking at the disk again, the Program Files->Yahoo folder was there again (this looks like a virus behavior to me!)
I've also tried starting Firefox in safe mode, but it didn't work either.
I was thinking about formatting my hard disk and installing a new, fresh OS...
But there is a better method. I found it after some research. If you too want to get rid of stubborn Yahoo toolbar, this is how it goes.
1. Start Firefox and click the Help button.
2. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
3. On the left side look for Profile Directory and click on Show Folder.
4. A new window will open. Look for extensions folder and open it.
5. Inspect any file in this folder and in all sub-folders (you may use an advanced text editor, like notepad2 or notepad++). The first file you must in is chrome manifest.
6. When you find a file that contains references to yahoo toolbar, just delete the whole folder that contains that file.
7. Restart Firefox. The stubborn Yahoo toolbar shouldn't be here anymore.