How to save audio from a YouTube video without downloading it (Using Movie Maker for Windows XP)
Sometimes it happens that you stumble across somebody's cover of a song- that isn't available for download from itunes, etc.- but you love it so much that you want to save the audio- without the video.
Here is a step-to-step guide on how to save audio from a YouTube video to your computer, without the need of going through downloads and/or conversions.
- Open the YouTube page of the audio, and let the video fully load.
- Open Windows Movie Maker by clicking Start-> All Programs-> Windows Movie Maker.
- On the screen, you will see a "Narrate Timeline" button (See screenshot). Click on it.
- The Narrate Timeline window will open (See screenshot). Choose the "Audio Input Source" from the drag-down menu. Set it to "Stereo Mix". Note: This may be different for different Service Packs/ Versions. Try experimenting till you find the right option.
- Set the "Input Level" to your choice.
- Now, click on "Start Narration". This starts the recording.
- Click play on the YouTube video.
- Once the recording is over, click on "Stop Narration" in the "Narrate Timeline" window, and choose the required destination where you want to save the audio.
That's it! You're done!
Tips and Warnings:
- This allows you to save audio only in .wma format. You can use the suitable software to convert it into suitable format though.
- While recording, make sure sounds are turned off on any other applications. Turn off or disconnect the microphone.
- Do not use this to download music illegally!