How to create and build a website | how to customise your website with google blogger
How to start your website
For starting your website, you need some basic requirements as mentioned below.
- A blogging platform to post and share your ideas, articles, images, videos or any content that may not be legally or morally prohibited. You can create the blog easily on any of the blog hosting platforms like Wordpress, Google Blogspot, GoDaddy, iPage, etc. (either free or paid).
- If you want a domain name exclusive for your blog, then you need to purchase one from the many providers of domain names by paying some annual charges. Big Rock, Znetlive, GoDaddy, Hover, Namecheap, iPage, etc. are some of the domain name sellers. I purchased my domain (www.mvchari.in) from Bigrock and they charge Rs.600 + in India annually. I linked the domain to my blog and post all my articles on it through my blog.
- Other things like a computing device and internet connection are understood as you will not be looking at this article without them.
A Govt. website built using Google Blogger
How to create a blog on google blogger platform
- For creating a blog on Google platform, you may need anyone of the updated versions of google chrome, safari, firefox, internet explorer, etc.
- For creating the blog, first, you need to create your google account, if you don't have one already.
- You need to create a blogger profile also. Or you can use your google+ profile for it that is available on your creating Google account.
- After creating the google account and profile, go to the blogger.com a/c and sign in with your email id and click on the Create a Blog button as shown in the first image below.
- A new page titled "create a new blog" will open up as shown in the second image below for giving the title to your blog and for selecting a template of your choice.
- See below for further instructions.
Blogger Sign up page for creating Blog
How to create new blog and the title/URL for your blog
Simple instructions for creating title, URL and selecting blog template
- In the blank space provided as above in the image, type the title of your blog which should be relevant to the content that you wish to post on the blog. You can select a general title or some specific title. For example "Vincent's Food court" (general), or "Vincent's Delicious Desserts" (specific).
- Below the title, there is another horizontal column asking for the address of the blog. You need to type a suitable URL address that matches your blog title. The address will be suffixed with blogspot.com which will be common for all addresses at the end (because blogspot.com is hosting of your blog). You may use your own name as a URL or combine it with the title of the blog or even use the simple title as URL. For example - vincentdavid.blogspot.com or vincentdaviddeliciousdesserts.blogspot.com or deliciousdesserts.blogspot.com and the like. If the same address has been already used by any other person, then it will not be allowed to you. You need to choose some other URL by changing the letters or words in it. The dialogue box open in the page may sometimes suggest you some of the options available.
- For example, in the above images, the blog creator tried to create a new blog titled "Mostly Indian Recipes" with the URL address nirmalakitchen.blogspot.com but it was not available. So, he had to insert a number 57 after Nirmala. When 57 was inserted, the blog address was available and allowed.
- After the URL is selected by you and gets permitted by the blogspot.com by indicating a tick in the small box against it (as shown in above figure), you need to select a template design for your blog by clicking on one of the template images provided in the window. When you click on any of the template images there, it will show more template options available under each set of templates. Some of them may be paid templates which display their prices on it. Select a free template design out of the many styles of templates provided there under each template if you are not going to pay.
- After selecting a template, click the "Create Blog" button at the bottom of that page as shown in the above image (2). Now, your blog is created and you can start posting articles or content. You can customise the appearance of your blog later on with the numerous tools available there, by logging into your blog and then using the numerous tools available there for customising which I am narrating below in this article.
Blogger Home Page
About your blogger homepage or dashboard
- When you create your blogger account with a new blog for the first time, you are assigned a home page for your blog which gives a summary of your blog titles, no.of posts under each blog and also the total view counts for each blog.
- With one blogger account, you can create as many new blogs as you want. Total blogs allowed are 100 presently. And you can post unlimited articles in each blog.
- Above is an example of a blogger dashboard which has 6 blogs presently on it. 5 are shown with their blog titles and below the titles are given total page views, no.of posts and last published date. One blog is hidden which is shown when you click "view more".
- The newly created blog "Mostly Indian Recipes"is at the top of this home page. It shows 'No Posts' with a message to start blogging.
- The "New Blog" button at left is for creating another new blog. If 7th blog is to be created, I will click on it.
- In the above image, you can see that against each blog title, there are buttons for operation. The pencil image in the brick coloured button is for posting your article. The next button is for viewing the posts list. You can view posts list by clicking the "number of posts" below each blog title also. The next (third) button is for blog tools and options for viewing posts, pages, view counts, traffic analytics, earnings, and for customising your blogs, etc. Another last button (fourth one) is view blog button. When you click on it, your website page of the blog opens which is your published blog.
- Below the list of the titles of the blogs in above image, there is a heading on the left side in brick coloured letters "Reading List". It shows all the blogs that you have subscribed to for reading and enjoying. To add a blog for reading, you can click on the "add" button below it.
Blog tools for customising your blog / website
Blogger tools for customising your website
The above image shows the various options and tools available for operating your blog and for customising its look.
- Concentrate on the left side of the above image which starts with "My blogs". When you click on my blogs, the page will go back to the list of blogs.
- Below My blogs, there is the "New post" button for posting your new article.
- Below "new post button", is overview button. It takes you to a summary of views during the week, no.of posts, comments, etc. It also shows the blogger news items etc.
- Below overview button, under posts heading is a summary of no.of all posts and published posts. In between, it will show drafts also if any.
- Below posts button is the pages button which takes you to a list of the pages that you have created on that particular blog. I have dealt with the details of "How to create pages/ categories on google blogger" in my another topic at HubPages.
- Below the pages button, there is Comments button which shows you published comments and spam comments, if any.
- Then there is the Google+ button for enabling your post to be shared on Google+.
- Below Google+ button there are the buttons of statistics, earnings, and campaigns which take you to those respective, related figures and analytics.
- Then, you will be having the layout button, template button, and settings button which I am going to deal in my below paragraphs.
Your opinion about webhosting platforms
Which blogging platform do you prefer most other than Hubpages?
How to customise your blog / website
Customising your blog or website with template designer
- For customising your blog, you should click template button at the left side of your blog posts (list) page.
- Clicking the template button will lead you to the template page which shows the appearance of your blog on your computer and mobile apps (as shown in the first of above two images). Below the blog appearance, there are various options of template designs. Only 5 simple templates are visible in the above image. But there are many other types of designs available below in that page which did not come in the photo.
- If you want to change the template itself, then you should select a new one from those available template designs and then try to customise your blog.
- There is a small horizontal (customise) button (red/brick colour) at the bottom of the computer preview format of your blog as appearing in the above first image. When you click on it, it will lead you to the customization page as per the 2nd image above. There is another white button next to 'customise' button which is for 'Edit HTML'.
- So, when you click on the 'customise' button as mentioned in 4 above, you are landing on to the page showing the (customisation) Blogger Template Designer page as in image 2 above. I have zoomed the upper part of that page in the 3rd image so that you can read the tools available on it.
- There are five tools available there as shown in the left margin. They are - Templates, Background, Adjust widths, Layout and Advanced.
- For changing template design, you will click on the template designs that you like to apply from among many designs shown there.
- By clicking 'Background', you can change the background colours, tiles and alignment of your blog position on your page.
- By clicking on "Adjust widths', you can change the width of the main body of your blog that shows content and the width of sidebars on the blogs.
- By clicking 'Layout', you can change the layout design of your blog. There are options visible there and you can select one of those options. For example, Title bar with the main body and one sidebar; Title bar with the body and two horizontal bars on the same side; Title bar with the body and one sidebar each on both sides; Title bar with the body and one or two bottom bars; etc.
- The "Advanced" button is for customising more advanced features of the blog like fonts, font size and colour of titles, body text, links,and many other features as shown in the below-posted image of the advanced options page. You can customise anything and everything you want, by clicking buttons and create a wonderful blog appearance.
Advanced features for customising your blog
Advanced customisation of Blog with google blogger template
- You can customise the fonts and colour of body text by clicking on "Body Text" button as visible in the above image. Click on the fonts displayed and the colour options available of your choice.
- By clicking on "Background" button, you can customise your blog's outer background colour, your main body colour on which content is displayed, and your main body border-line colours.
- The links colour is customised by clicking on the "Links" button. There are three options of original colour, visited colour and cursor hovering colour that should be customised by you.
- The button "Blog Title" allows you to customise the title fonts, font size and text colour of title.
- Then there is the button for selecting the "Blog Description" colour.
- The button "Tabs Text" is for customising the buttons appearing on your blog like Home button, Pages buttons, Categories buttons, Date and Label display, etc. You can customise the fonts, font size and text colour.
- "Tabs Background" button is for customising the background of tab buttons.
- Below 'tabs background', there are other tools for customising "Post Title" just like blog title, then there is the Gadget Title customization and other CSS tool for HTML customization.
Simple Domain Prices and hosting charges
Domain / service provider
Rs.599/1st year and Rs.939 subsequent years
$1.99/per month with free domain on iPage for 1st term of service
ix web hosting
$3.95/per month with free website
$0.99/per month hosting
How to link your custom domain with blogspot.com
How to link your custom domain with Google Blog
- Before linking your custom domain name with blogspot.com, you should purchase the custom domain from any domain sellers. There are hundreds of domain sellers in the world, out of which above mentioned names in the Table are only a few examples.
- After purchasing the domain, you need to set up your Domain with your blog by enabling any one of the two options provided for sharing your content with the audience (whether you want to share on world wide web or local web).
- Choose "where you would like to host your blog" by marking against any one of the options of 1) on a top level domain (like www.com) or on a sub-domain (any local.com).
- After purchasing and enabling any one of the above options, you should go to your Blogger account and click on the settings button over that particular blog that needs to be linked to your custom domain. Your account id for blogger and custom domain need to be the same. So, purchase the domain with the same email id that you use for logging into your blog spot account.
- When you click settings, a page opens up. Under publishing area for blog address, there are two options. Click "setup a google domain URL for your blog".
- Now, the "google domain settings" options will be visible to you. If you enabled "www" option while purchasing your domain, the blank space in the address bar column will show "www" and your custom domains will show up against it for choosing one of them as the address URL for your linked blog. Select your domain.com as the option for your choice as shown in the above images. For example, I have purchased www.mvchari.in and mvchari.com as my domains and linked the first one to my google blog (titled venkinomics.blogspot.com). So, when I search for venkinomics.blogspot.com, the website URL www.mvchari.in will show up in search results.
- After selecting your custom domain to be linked in the above address bar, click save at the bottom of the settings page. Now, your blog spot blog is linked with your custom domain and you or your viewers can visit your custom domain with your blog address, vice-versa.