- Computers & Software»
- Computer How-Tos & Tutorials
Laptop LCD Display Problem
Solution for Laptop LCD display problem will amount to a big relieve for most laptop users and technicians as the problem is common place. From personal experience, the solution path can be simple and it can also be very complex. It depends on the underlying factors.
There are two types of Laptop LCD display problem. When the laptop LCD display is distorted or very faint and when there is a complete absence of video. Just like desktop computers, there are components that control display on the laptop system circuitry. But in order to know which of them is faulty, a proper troubleshooting procedure has to be followed especially if the suspected component is integrated on the main board such as the video card.
The under listed steps would help trouble shoot and help detect which part is faulty and perhaps that need rectification or replacement when the following occurrences are observed.
Types of Laptop Display Problems
1. When image on the Laptop LCD is very faint: This could be settings problem. When brightness is adjusted the screen comes back to normalcy. The LCD backlight may be responsible if not working. Confirm by locating the backlight switch( it depend on the laptop make, in most cases it is close to the LCD hinges), it may be stalk as the system is closed before reopening when on standby and switched off. By taping the switch, if stalk it could return to normalcy and if this is responsible, the problem is solved.
If this step did not resolve it, the Laptop LCD power inverter should be changed. The power inverter is responsible for stepping up voltage in the power supply circuit responsible for LCD back light; if it is faulty the LCD will displayed faintly.
Another possibility is the LCD bulbs (CCFL) could be faulty. It can be replaced for some laptops with some degree of technicality. But a situation when the bulb is integrated with the LCD, the only option is to change the entire LCD.
2. When the Laptop LCD Display goes dim and bright at intervals: In most cases the LCD power inverter is responsible for this kind of observation. When the power inverter is changed, the LCD becomes normal.
3. Laptop LCD is Blank: When a Laptop LCD display is completely blank, a number of factors could be responsible. Advisably, confirm that the system boot properly by listening to the sound when booting. It may boot half way and stopped with the power indicator light on and sometimes even the keyboard light could be on. This is completely a different hardware issue. I once used a system that does so. When I switched the system off and reboot by pressing the power switch a little harder and for few more seconds, the issue was then resolved. The system boot properly and the blank screen was gone.
Confirm that the system is not in a sleep mode or hibernated. It depend on the configuration in the system BIOS, some laptop may require you to switch the system off and reboot before coming out of hibernation and sleep mode.
If this is not the issue, you can connect the laptop to an external screen. If the external monitor displayed properly, then it is either that the laptop LCD is faulty or the connecting cable between the motherboard and the LCD is bad or displaced. The LCD display cable should be checked and changed with a confirmed working one if need be. If this did not solve the problem, then the Laptop screen should be changed. This should be done by an experience computer technician.
A situation when there is no video display on the external monitor connected to the laptop, it may be that the on-board graphic card is faulty and by implication the entire motherboard have to be changed.
4. LCD IS White or with Distorted Lines: When a Laptop LCD display is completely white, there are three main factors that can be adduced to be responsible. It could be the LCD fault, the connecting cable to the motherboard or the video card. It is advisable to connect the system to an external monitor. If the external monitor display is normal, then it is either the LCD display cable or the screen itself that is faulty. The connecting cable should be removed and reconnected.
If the LCD and the Cable are OK, it may be that the video adapter is faulty. In that case, there may be the need to change the entire circuit board as most video adapter are on-board in Laptops. The above process is also applicable when the screen shows distorted lines or suddenly goes off.
5. It could be a Software issue: The system graphics unit drivers may need updating. If the LCD resolution is set beyond its capacity and perhaps higher graphics resolution software is downloaded for the sake LCD resolution upgrade, it could bring about this problem.
It could also be as a result of corrupt graphics or related system drivers. Boot the system from a safe mode and access the device manager for drivers update. If not possible due to the configuration of the display settings to accommodate an upgrade with respect to screen resolution, do a reversal to the original settings. Visit the manufacture website to know types of update available and possible.
Solution for Laptop LCD display problem from the forgoing is not farfetched, but it is born out of a careful and intelligent troubleshooting. Laptop LCD is one of the most delicate parts of the system, so absolute caution should be taken in order not o caused a further damaged. Hope you find this helpful.