Manually Remove USB Shortcut Virus
Sandwich – checked, hot choco – checked, AC power – connected, seat – comfortable, borrowed USB – @$#$#DF?!?!? Its amazingly annoying how a simple USB virus could ruin a perfect and peaceful afternoon computer session.
Problem FOUND !!!
Problem found, now to find a solution. Performed a full system scan, no virus was detected though am pretty sure that it is already on the system. Two important tasks, save and recover the files on the USB file and remove the virus from the system. Big question…HOW?
Tried researching on the internet but to no avail. A lot of solutions from different so called tech gurus would suggest to do this, do that, disclaimer here, don’t download that... One thing about the internet is that you don’t know which is which with so many people having different solutions. Some wants to download executable files with disclaimer while some would say don’t download anything executable as it may do more harm than good. Another claim worth noting is that some, apparently repost the shortcut virus solution and edits it. Some misses a step or two making the solution useless. What?!?!?!
SOLUTION FOUND !!!
Anyhow, after much scrutiny and research, have finally found a solution and removed the shortcut virus. Not only that, but have also recovered all USB infected files and cleaned the shortcut links on the flash drive.
Here are the steps - please be advised that this may vary depending on the computer model, OS, and virus type:
- Open "Taskmanager" and group by "User Name"
- Now you'll see applications that are supposedly opened. controlled, and running by you - the user
- Look for any suspicious .exe program that is running.
- If you found any, search for it using the search option of the computer.
- If it is a legit program it should be on the program files. However, if many of its parts are located on the "My Documents" section - most probably, this is a virus.
- To double check, research the said filename or exe program on any search engine if it is a virus
- If the search results said yes, then do everything you can to remove the virus from the taskmanager and the actual file returned by the computer search location
- You may need admistrator rights to do this and the computer must be running in safe mode.