- Internet & the Web
Mozilla Firefox bookmark backup
Anybody using a web browser should know what a bookmark is. It is a locally stored Uniform Resource Identifier (URI). Bookmark backup is the process of backing up the bookmark. Bookmark backup is useful in many situations.
1. If you are connecting to the internet using multiple computers, it is always good to synchronize your bookmarks. It will give you the unique feeling whatever the machine that you use to browse the internet. You don’t miss anything important; you become machine independent. It will save you large amount of time. For doing that you need the bookmark backup first.
2. It is always good to have backups of your data. If Firefox crashes there is nothing for you to worry about as you can use bookmark backup.
3. If you format your computer and reinstall Firefox, you don’t have to start from zero again. You can use the bookmark backup to restore all your bookmarks back.
So, here is how you can use bookmark backup.
Create the bookmark backup file
1. Open Firefox and select Organize Bookmarks from the Bookmarks menu.
2. Select All Bookmarks
3. Click Import and Backup from Organize Bokkmarks dialog box and select Backup from the menu
4. Select the backup file name and the location. The file will be saved as an .json file
5. If you wish to save bookmark backup file as .html, then select Export Bookmark from Import and Backup in Organize bookmark dialog box. Then select a file name and location for the backup .html file
Now you have created the bookmark backup file and you want to install the bookmarks in another machine or you have reinstalled Firefox and you want your bookmarks back. This is the procedure for doing that.
1. Select Organize Bookmarks from Bookmarks tab
2. Select Import and Backup from the Organize Bookmarks dialog box and select Restore. Then select Choose File and select the bookmark backup file you want to restore. Also note that Firefox itself creates backup files for each day. You can use them as well if need be.
3. If your backup file is .html then select Export Html and select your bookmark backup file.
Think in web2.0 way
Firefox and all modern browsers of course have this nice feature of bookmarks. But now it is high time we should stop thinking in this browser centric way. Now it is web 2.0 era and everything is on the internet. So you can keep your bookmarks also in the internet. Not only that completely avoid from keeping all your bookmarks in a single computer but also you can share your bookmarks which will enable you to create a network of like minded people for sharing knowledge. Delicious.com is such a site. So go and keep your bookmarks on delicious.com. Happy social bookmarking!!