- Computers & Software»
- Computer How-Tos & Tutorials
.NET In Brief
What is Microsoft.NET?
Microsoft.NET is formerly known as Next Generation Windows Services (NGWS). It is an entirely new platform for developing the next generation of Windows/Web Applications. The .Net Framework is built upon the object-oriented approach. Everything in the .Net framework is a class or an instance of a class. One of the main components of the .Net framework is the class library. Class libraries are collection of reusable classes, or types. These class libraries are grouped into namespaces, which group the classes according to the services they offer.
The .NET platform supports many different languages and the list is growing everyday.
.NET depends on four internet standards:
What is C#?
C# evolves from C/C++. A major part of the .NET base class libraries is written in C#. The C# compiler is considered the most efficient compiler in the .NET family. C# is not just a programming language but also an object oriented programming language and is an integral part of the .NET platform.
What is VB.NET?
VB is a programming language from Microsoft. It is a popular language because of the simplicity it offers in terms of syntax. In VB, programmer uses graphical user interface (GUI) to choose and modify preselected sections of code. It lacks the object oriented approach. To overcome this drawback Microsoft in its new .NET strategy revamped the existing VB to VB.NET.
Visual Basic.NET (VB.NET) is a high level programming language, implemented on the .NET framework. VB.NET was launched by Microsoft. VB.NET offers capabilities for developing console based applications, web applications as well as windows applications.
What is ASP.NET?
ASP.NET is a server side web application framework developed by Microsoft for web development. With the help of ASP.NET, programmers can create dynamic websites. ASP.NET is an object oriented server side scripting tool.
Advantages of ASP.NET
- ASP.NET supports many strong languages like C#, VB etc. However, only one language can be used for coding in a single page.
- ASP.NET allows programmers to work separately from the designers.
- The execution of the ASP.NET pages are very fast because pages get compiled instead of being interpreted.
- ASP.NET supports inheritance mechanism for re-using of code.
- Components need no registration to be available and are placed in application's bin directory.
- ASP.NET has many built-in controls and methods.