Pros and cons of setting your tweets to private at Twitter- Protecting from stalkers, can celebrities see your tweets?
Twitter gives you the option of "protecting your tweets". It is available under Account Settings. (See Screenshot). Before you decide if you want to protect your tweets, take a look at the pros and cons.
- It lets you screen your followers- only those whom you approve can see your tweets.
- If you have stalkers, or are afraid of stalkers, you will be able to stop them from seeing your tweets.
- You won't have to worry about divulging personal, potentially dangerous information, to the world, if your tweets are protected and only your close friends follow you.
- If twitter is your ranting or venting place, you won't have to worry about the world thinking you are a drama queen.
- If this is an "online" account, that you don't want your real life friends to find, for various reasons, such as being associated with some particular website, or fandom, this option is for you.
- If you post photos or links, only your followers can see it. If you are sharing your location, it will be hidden from non-followers too.
- This generally helps to keep spam and harassment to a minimum.
- People will not be able to retweet your tweets.
- If you post for the popular trending topics, when people search for them, they will not be able to see your tweets.
- Only your followers can see your tweets. So if you tweet someone who doesn't follow you, they can't see it. This includes your favorite celebrities.
- It may be difficult to get followers when your tweets are not visible to the world to see if they are interesting and if your twitter is worth following.
So consider the pros and cons carefully, and then decide what is best for you.