- Internet & the Web
How to Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
There are many reasons to restore Internet Explorer to default settings. You may want to do this if you have changed the settings and do not know how to change them back. Or you should do this if a virus has changed your defaults (homepage and search bar).
How To - Step by Step
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click the Settings button (gear icon) in the upper right-hand corner of the window
3. Click "Internet Options" at the bottom of the drop-down menu
4. When the options window pops up, go to the "Advanced" tab
5. Click "Reset" on the "Advanced" tab
6. Check "Delete personal settings"
7. Click "Reset"
8. After each step has a green check next to it, click "Close"
9. Restart your computer (you must do this step for the changes to take effect)
10. After you restart the computer, open Internet Explorer
11. A window will pop up asking you to set up Internet Explorer. (I suggest using recommended settings)
12. Click "OK"
13. You are done!
Cannot Open Internet Explorer?
Some viruses will close Internet Explorer every time you try to open it. The solution is accessing the internet options menu without opening Internet Explorer. To do this, go to the control panel. Usually the control panel is accessible from the start menu. In the control panel, there is an internet options icon that will open the same window that opened in step 3. Follow the rest of the steps and you will get the same result!
If a virus has changed your internet settings, be sure to use antivirus software to completely get rid of the virus before restoring Internet Explorer. If you do not do this, you run the risk of the virus coming back and changing your settings again.