3 Outstanding Skype Alternatives For Gaming
What is Skype?
Skype is an extremely popular voice communicating software used to connect people over the internet. You do not have to pay a single cent, therefor making Skype free to use and it is very user friendly. However, what is the problem with Skype? From my personal experience, Skype tends to cause me ping spikes and lots of lag while playing video games.
I utterly hate having to die many times due to this problem. So, I have researched online the best of the best, gaming specific voice communicating programs. If you are a gamer looking for a great voice communicating program that does not give you any lag, then these programs are great for you!
What is the problem with Skype?
With my past experiences, my friends and I have had many troubles with Skype over the past years. We have seen various bugs, weird glitches and latency problems here and there. I am not trying to say to not try Skype. It is still a really wonderful and free problem that is widely popular in the world.
However, I just do not suggest using it for the sole purpose of communication with your friends while playing games. There are better alternative programs specifically for gaming, which have more features to help you have a great experience. But, if you are just going to use Skype to talk with others and nothing else. Then it is a great program for that use!
- The video quality becomes bad if you are with many people in a Skype group call
- Not very great Linux support
- Slow sharing file speed
- Poor quality when screen sharing
- There might be crashes
- There might be bugs
- There might be glitches
- There might be latency issues
- Widely popular, thus making it easy to connect with many people
- You are able to share your screen with the users in your Skype group
- Skype supports Windows, Linux and Mac
- You are able to use Skype on your Phone
- You can share files over Skype with your friends / family
- You can hold group calls with many users
- Totally free to use
GameVox is a voice communicating program used to connect players with servers. Similar to Teamspeak, you are able to have a free server where you can manage many different things. You are able to have unlimited users on your server, it is professionally hosted, you can get a custom banner and more.
It is kind of like a community. Or if you just want to have a server for you and your friends to be on, that is fine also because you can input a password. Not to mention that it is secure from DDos attacks.
- Limited to only NA, EU and Asia Pacific regions
- No mobile version
- Not a lot of people are using this program
- Server owner protection
- Free to use
- Unlimited Access
- Chat rooms
- Works on Windows, Mac and Linux
- DDoS Mitigation
- Text service
Unlike many other gaming voice communicating programs where you need to join a server to communicate with other players. With Curse Voice, you do not need a server at all and can just directly connect with your friends Curse Voice is basically Skype but it does not give you any lag / ping spikes and has useful features for gamers everywhere.
- No Linux support
- Amazon has recently bought Curse, thus we might see many changes we do not like sooner or later
- Free to use
- Server not required to communicate with friends
- Very simple to use
- Supports voice & text communications
- Does not consume lots of performance
- Supports different languages
What Is Curse Voice? By:TheAngryHoneyBadger
Discord is a recently new and popular gaming voice communicating software. You may have seen many YouTubers start promoting this product and it is not just because of the sponsorship. This software is actually fairly good and has many features that is included with it also. This includes text and voice communication, its free, secure, and it works on mobile phones also!
- Cant use Push-to-talk in Discord browser
- There are limited servers (US, Europe, Singapore, Brazil, Austraila)
- No dedicated servers
- Might be buggy
- There is a voice delay
- Many of the updates are becoming more focused on Streamers and not the community
- 100% Free
- You are able to create unlimited channels
- You can use Discord in your browser
- Simple to setup
- Easy to use
- You can use Discord with your phone
- DDoS protection
Discord Voice Chat & Server Setup Tutorial By:Chupacabra Tutorials
Do you like Skype?
The best alternative?
Honestly everyone, in my opinion there is no best alternative to Skype because it all depends on your preference. In my opinion, these three voice communicating programs are the top gaming alternatives to Skype. Of course, you do not have to agree with me or do anything I say here. These are just my highly suggested programs that I think will help you with your problems.
Moreover, to clear up misunderstandings, I am not trying to say Skype is a terrible program to use while playing games. There are plenty of people online who are having no problems using Skype while playing their games. It was just from my personal experiences. Lastly, I would like to thank you so much for giving me and my Hub a chance. Hopefully you can take a look at my other Hubs and see if you are interested. Have a great day and I hope I helped you find the alternative you wanted.