How to Stream Media from Your PC to Your Playstation 3 Guide
I've owned my Playstation 3 for a couple of years now and I had an increasing feeling that I wasn't exploiting the console to its full potential like I had the intentions of doing when I originally purchased it. I also really wanted to exploit my home network as much as possible. So, with that in mind, I decided today was going to be the day I set up a media server with Windows Media Player 11 so that my PS3 could wireless view and play all the photos/videos/music that I have on my hard drive.
So, after a little bit of research and a little bit of trial and error, I finally figured it out and made it work. The whole process is surprisingly easy as long as you know what you're doing, and after reading this, you will know what to do right from the start.
Read this through, set up your own media server, and start enjoying all those videos on your computer on your big screen! I promise it's simple!
What You'll Need:
- A PC with Windows Media Player 11 installed
- A Playstation 3
- A Router that both devices are connected to
- Videos/Photos/Music on your hard drive
- Turn on both the PS3 and your PC
- Start out first on the PS3. On the home screen, navigate to Settings. From there go to Network Settings, located at the very bottom of the list. From that list, find Media Server Connection, also located at the bottom; click this and select Enable.
- After that, navigate back over to the Video category. Find the icon entitled Search for Media Servers and select it.
- Go back to your PC and start up Windows Media Player 11.
- In WMP 11, click the down-arrow below Library (second from left) and select Media Sharing from the drop-down list. (Pictured Above)
- You should get a pop-up box like the one pictured below. (You may have to adjust your network settings to private, if it is not already set that way).
- Under Shared Settings, check the two boxes titled Find media that others are sharing and Share my media to:
- In the white box, you will notice an icon named Unkown Device, which is your PS3. Select this icon and click Allow. Now, click Apply.
Do you have your Playstion 3 connected to a WMP media server?
Assuming that all went well, you can return to the Playstion 3 and find your computer name under the Video/Photos/Music sections. You can browse through these to find your different types of media. NOTE: your videos can only be viewed under Video, music only under Music, etc.
You can now close out Windows Media Player 11 on your PC, but the computer must remain on for the media server to function.
If you would like to download media from your server to your PS3 hard drive, simply select the file you want saved, press the Triangle button, and select Copy.
*Heads Up: You should also be aware that the PS3 may not play the same file extensions that Windows Media Player does, but it will definitely play the most common ones. Also, WMP will not play the .m4v files that are downloaded from the iTunes store. You will have to change the .m4v file to a .mp4 file before it can be played.
Now that wasn't too hard was it? Now set back and enjoy all your computer media from the comforts of your big screen!