The Benefits and Dangers of Social Networking Sites
Thanks to the evolution of social networking sites, we found a good way to start and rekindle friendships, connect with old buds, meet new friends and find people with similar interests like you.
Facebook, is definitely the number one social networking site with billion of subscribers. This social network greatly influenced our lives making it easier to find or connect and be updated on someone else's life.
Writers and bloggers might consider this as their best friends because the number one source for their most-loved "traffic" for their blogs.
"Poking" on the other hand might gesture an invisible handshake and a very short way to say "Hey, I miss you or how are you?”.
After some time of divulging myself to these social sites, I found a lot of benefits especially on promoting my work as well as keeping track with the latest news on your circle.
I've listed here below the great things you can get with these sites, especially Facebook.
BENEFITS OF SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES
One benefit is Friendships. This is the haven of "lost and found" friends, rekindling your relationship again after some time you lost track with each other. You can meet people who shares similar interests or goals to you or sometime, people with exact character like you which you sometimes you believe people like them do not exists.
Some people found their perfect love life through these sites while other people start as friends and fall in love along the way with constant communication. You get to know what's happening with your relatives, friends and other people through their shouts and posts, pictures and shared events.
This is your chance to create something a positive image on your profile - whatever you want people to see in you by putting your best qualities that you want them to know.
Plus the fact that it can boost the traffic to your websites and blogs thus is helping you to earn more money. It offers paid advertisement to further advertise and promote your business and pages or you can create your own page may it be a fan page or business page to let people know what's going on or what are your interests.
But there are also risks that you have to take whenever you post or upload photos of yourself on the site.
Once information is uploaded, it is no longer considered private and the more you post, the more vulnerable you become to people who may want to target you. Don't just rely on the privacy settings because in on time or another, it may leak your information.
We cannot deny the fact that there are crimes, theft and murders done on the social networking sites alone, not to mention news about parties gone wrong because of uninvited guests.
There are thousands of internet-savvy hackers who can exploit your personal connections through social networks. They try to trick and manipulate people and scammed them because of their identity being leaked online.
Some people posts photos of their children, still even on their diapers, what's inside their house for all to see. They love to shout where they are, what they're doing and who are they with.
Even if you think there's no harm in updating your status, you do not know other invisible people who might be interested to harm your life. There are these risks that you do not know in the first place; you think that a harmless post will have no impact to someone but there are cases that it is the start of some major issues.
We've seen a lot of news that people especially teens engaged on some issues that leads to serious and legal advises. Some people lost their jobs, the respect of their friends and families because of a simple mistake of uploading photos or tagging themselves on other's posts.
Why? Just because they post a photo or something that other people become offended. Internet is not a safe haven especially social network sites to vent out or let the world know what's inside your closet.
Since you can also get a lot of benefits using these sites, might as well maximize your privacy potential to hackers and to people who might be lurking around, stalking your every move.
You can still enjoy these benefits without having to worry about other things if you keep in mind few strict rules and preventive measures from being their vulnerable target.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES: How to Stay Safe
- Limit your posts on personal and private information you share and keep track of others discussions and uploads about you. Do not post as well the embarrassing things that you would later regret.
- Do not store any information that you want to keep private and you want to protect on a device that connects to the internet because it might leak the info online.
- Anti-virus and firewall must be updated to prevent malicious software from entering the system.
- Use unique password combinations and change them periodically. Do not use same passwords for more than one system or account.
- Always verify the identity of people you correspond with - there are a lot of fake identity, mostly stolen data of a person you know.
- Disable the GPS (Global Disposition System) on your digital cameras and phone so your location won’t be encoded when you post photos online.
- Free downloadable software’s might come with a malware so choose only trusted software to install.
- Always monitor your bank accounts, statements and balances.
- Do not share confidential information online like credit cards, bank accounts, social security numbers, clearances, salaries, travel plans and other schedules.
- Be aware of people and unsolicited contacts who ask for your personal data.
As most things in life, if there are benefits and possibilities, there are also risks that go with it. Remember everything is possible online; you can even have a twin in there.
Just use social network site to promote and share ideas. Always be on guard of your personal and private life because you can’t hide on the hazards in the game of online world.
© 2013 Mycee. All Rights Reserved.